The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Geek Squad Scam
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 8:19 am    

Don't fall for an email scam from "Geek Squad Tech Support".

https://blogs.vcu.edu/phishing/2021/07/20/geek-squad-subscription-scam-7-20-2021/

Here's what it might look like. There are variations. Just DELETE the email.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 9:41 am    

It's amazing how stupid these scammers are. Don't they realize that a person is probably aware that they don't don't have a Geek Squad service plan. I get these all the time from different scams. It seems like they are all from the same scammer. The wording is almost the same in all of them. I actually got concerned one time when I first got one of these scams and called them. I had a fun time arguing with the blithering idiot. If I remember right, it was for a Norton Antivirus account. I've never used Norton Antivirus. My favorite are the suspension of my PayPal account, sent to one of my email addresses that is in no way connected to a Paypal account.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 6:06 am    

At least the grammar and spelling are correct. In most of the ones I get (usually for Norton), it's obvious that Google Translate is their second language.Very Happy

--Al Evans

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 6:56 am    

I get scam crap daily. Usually I can spot it right away. Occasionally they get more creative but if you look at their e-mail address it will give it away.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 7:59 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I get scam crap daily. Usually I can spot it right away. Occasionally they get more creative but if you look at their e-mail address it will give it away.

Yup.. The first thing I look at.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:13 am    

I get one or two of these EVERY day in my Spam folder. But from a different "person" and they are bringing different numbers of people each time.

Lucas Workman <lucas>
Attachments
Fri, Sep 24, 1:35 AM (1 day ago)
to me

Here's the deal Richard.

I need to bring on 5 people this month.

You seem like a good fit

Your invite is attached, the password is 7308

I look forward to hearing back from you Richard.

Lucas
Attachments area
Encrypted attachment warning รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Be careful with this attachment. This message contains 1 encrypted attachment that can't be scanned for malicious content. Avoid downloading it unless you know the sender and are confident that this email is legitimate.

I also get These EVERY day in my Spam folder. Also from different "people". 1 or 2 a day.

Richard
Trash

Thomas England <t>
Attachments
Sat, Sep 18, 9:05 AM (7 days ago)
to me

We've attached your grant finances to get you back on track to go back to school.

Taking the right life path starts with one choice.

The attached offer can be opened with the password 8105

Good luck with your future

Attachments area
Encrypted attachment warning รขโ‚ฌโ€œ Be careful with this attachment. This message contains 1 encrypted attachment that can't be scanned for malicious content. Avoid downloading it unless you know the sender and are confident that this email is legitimate.

I just noticed they have the same domain name in the email. Gdata.com. Looks like maybe a legit site that allows scammers to use for spreading their scams.

EDIT: I went to Gdata.com and came up with a website that handles getting businesses out to potential clients. That the legit site I mentioned. But I went to that site again and it brings up a website for Gdata antivirus software. Looking at several pages of Google results, that first site I saw is nowhere to be found.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 25 Sep 2021 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:15 am    

I too get scam emails almost every day. The latest one thanked me for my "recent payment of $375.00" which was received from my bank account. And "click the link" for more information. Rolling Eyes How stupid do they think we are?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:26 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I too get scam emails almost every day. The latest one thanked me for my "recent payment of $375.00" which was received from my bank account. And "click the link" for more information. Rolling Eyes How stupid do they think we are?

Yup. Get those too. I wish there were valid statistics as to how many people actually fall for these scams. There must be some for sure.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:27 am    

Coincidentally... here's one that just came in as I was posting my previous reply here!

It claims to be "American Express", but I don't have an American Express account. Never did. Mad

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:28 am    

I like the phone calls saying they are from my credit card company and there is a problem. I ask them which credit card, and they usually can't answer or they say all of them. I'm a really verbally violent a-hole when talking to these people.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:30 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Rolling Eyes How stupid do they think we are?

If 1% of people are stupid enough to click it, the scammer makes a lot of money.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:34 am    

Quote:
I'm a really verbally violent a-hole when talking to these people.

Laughing Good for you, Richard. They deserve. I quit answering my phone years ago, unless the call is from someone on my contacts list. If I accidentally answer and I hear "sales talk" I hang up immediately. I used to tell them to "get a real job and stop bothering people" but I don't waste my energy on it anymore.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 8:49 am    

As b0b states, if only a few people respond it's worthwhile for the sammers. Not only gullible people are at risk, but those with compromised memory or lucidity issues in particular as well.

These are the lowest of the lowdown thieves. Preying on the weak, people with disabilities and loneliness. There is nothing worse nor any punishment too severe for these scumbags.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 9:05 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
I'm a really verbally violent a-hole when talking to these people.

Laughing Good for you, Richard. They deserve. I quit answering my phone years ago, unless the call is from someone on my contacts list. If I accidentally answer and I hear "sales talk" I hang up immediately. I used to tell them to "get a real job and stop bothering people" but I don't waste my energy on it anymore.

Interestingly, when I moved here to Montana 2 years ago, I kept my California phone number. I would get many calls a day from the car warranty people and medicare plan insurance agents. I would hang up if I even, after cussing them out, answered at all. I actually talked to one agent and asked why she called me. They were in the Bay Area of California and their autodialer, yes she admitted to using a autodialer, chooses random numbers in certain area codes they choose to enter into the machine. They don't necessarily target a specific person, the machine pulls your number and name from a mailing list. So, a few months ago, I needed a new phone. With it I also changed to a Montana number. I don't think I have received 3 scam calls. I'm sure they will catch up to me.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 9:25 am    

One of their tricks now is to make it look like the call is coming from your locality. Shocked They've figured out a way to do that.

A friend of mine used to work for the Justice Dept. in D.C. He told me that they put scammers in jail for a couple of years, and when they get out, they go back to scamming... arrested again, jailed again. Oh Well It seems to be all they know how to do.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 10:41 am    

I have T-Mobile. They have some type of detection as a lot of the scam calls are displayed as "Scam Likely".

I used to have Verizon and never saw any scam filtering.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 5:34 pm    

I guess Microsoft fired their tech support and they all were hired by the Geek squad. I use to get the most pathetic phone calls from "Microsoft Tech Support". I'd tell them I don't have a computer --- No problem! They'll just check out my smart phone instead! Right.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW