The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What am I missing in this E9 copedent?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 7:50 am    

Most of us have different priorities when it comes to rating the various options. For me, lowering the Bs and lowering that 9th string are factors that open up the E9 tuning.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 8:25 am    

Gary Shepherd wrote:
I would miss B to Bb on a vertical lever.

Like Richard, I have it on a pedal. It's necessary for several reasons, but I've never had a knee lever available for it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 8:38 am    

I tried the B-lower on a pedal but abandoned it in favour of RKL so that it was available with pedals down.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2021 11:38 am    

On PSGs that can handle the 6th string G# -> F# lower (with tuned split to G) – with wound 6th, I always try to add the same change(s) on the 3d string. Same lever (and pedal) for both G# strings, so good use of available (standard) levers.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 8:35 am    

Another person here in favour of having the B to Bb lower. I've always had it on my LKV, and all of my steels have the change on that lever, including my Emmons push pull. Suits me on LKV and I can use it in conjunction with my A & B pedals if need be, but I have to make sure that the lever is the right length and is set at the correct angle. It's a fundamental and positive change on E9.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 7:04 pm    

Instead of worrying about what's missing, I'd concentrate more on learning to use what you already have! Laughing

Seriously, there's enough there to keep just about any beginning player busy for 10-15 years. Like Bob Hoffnar and Paul Sutherland have already said, leave it the way it is and start in earnest on your practicing.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have"

T. Roosevelt

Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 7:41 pm    

Oh, there's no worrying about what might be missing; I'm just curious as to what the feller who set it up was thinking. Who knows, there's probably some cat out there that knows the guy that put the G nats on the RKR and why he did it. I figured asking might get an answer and if not I'd learn something from any discussion.

And I won't be changing anything until the present set up stops me from playing something I really want to play. And as y'all know and I'm very quickly learning, that's years down the road if ever. No point in changing things around just to change things.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2021 10:44 pm    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
On PSGs that can handle the 6th string G# -> F# lower (with tuned split to G) – with wound 6th, I always try to add the same change(s) on the 3d string. Same lever (and pedal) for both G# strings, so good use of available (standard) levers.

How many PSGs handle the 3rd string G#>>F#.
high G# is one of the outliers for string movements, I have found

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 4:36 am    

John Hyland wrote:
Georg Sørtun wrote:

How many PSGs handle the 3rd string G#>>F#.
high G# is one of the outliers for string movements, I have found

Right, it can be a problem.
Works fine on my Dekley and GFI, with Jagwire or LSS .0115 strings, balanced reasonable well with .022W on 6th. One of my most used changes, and string-life has not been a problem with the mentioned strings. The strings I had access to a couple of decades ago did not last long though.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 6:47 am    

Most of us would if we could play like Loyd Green would be happy an Loyd gets the Job done with minimal pulls.
Loyd was ask why don’t you have more knee levers an pedals Loyds answered,I want too play in tune.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 7:12 pm    

As you can see, there are lots of options that work for lots of people regarding levers and pedals (though the Emmons or Day pedals seem to be more standardized among players)..

One thing that Ian posted above here that I'd like to reiterate is to consider tuning your 9th string to D natural rather than D#. It may seem a bit odd at first, but that D string is really an important one. Very Happy

Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 8:07 pm    

Mark McCornack wrote:
As you can see, there are lots of options that work for lots of people regarding levers and pedals (though the Emmons or Day pedals seem to be more standardized among players)..

One thing that Ian posted above here that I'd like to reiterate is to consider tuning your 9th string to D natural rather than D#. It may seem a bit odd at first, but that D string is really an important one. Very Happy

as noted in the OP, that 9th string D# is an excel autofill flub when I wrote out the copedent. It's actually a D natural. I left the original pic in the post since a few people commented on it and it might be confusing if I changed the pic out for the correct tuning.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 7:54 am    

Oops! My bad. I missed that correction. D natural is our friend, EXCEL spreadsheets, maybe not so much Smile