The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10 String Practice Board Steel Guitar. C6/E9.... Any Tuning!
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 5:09 am    

here is a new 10 string practice board. can be used for E9 or C6, or any other tuning. nice construction of solid 3/4" maple, mahogany and walnut. sealed tuners. 24" scale. raised maple fret board with real frets. with the raised board you can work on your behind the bar pulls since you can anchor the thumb on the side of the raised fret board. thick nut made of aluminum and the angle aluminum bridge is also reinforced with a piece of maple that also transfers vibration to the body. you can use this anywhere to get in some left and right hand practice. watch your fav TV show and set this practice guitar in your lap and get some work done! finish is satin poly. headstock is done in a deco style using solid wood. body is about 7.5" wide so it sets on the lap with no problem. instrument is lightweight. i have not slotted the nut or the bridge. i will wait for a buyer and then find out what tuning is desired and what spacings. send me a set of your gauge strings and i will set the instrument up for no charge. price is $325 and that will include FREE SHIPPING to anywhere in the lower 48 US. please EMAIL me with any questions and i will be happy to answer. if i can make you a custom lap steel instrument please let me know.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 6:17 am    

That is a beautiful steel.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 6:33 am    

Buddy used to use a practice board similar to that made by Sierra. As we know, a lot of buddies single string playing on C6 was without pedals. here’s a quote from him.

Buddy Emmons wrote:
If I may shed some light on the recording, it’s one of what I call “chop checking” tapes I used to run once in a while. First of all, if it sounded like Paul, it was supposed to. There was a lick Paul played that I liked, so I played it to check my style of blocking against his pick blocking technique to see if it made a difference in speed or sound, which in this case it didn’t.

There were other spots that featured pedal steel, but many of the licks were played with a tuning I had put on a non-pedal lap top practice guitar Sierra made for me without a pickup. I still have the guitar but the tuning is long gone. I also thank Chris for posting the tape. It was made some time in the early eighties and reminds me of the interest and intensity I had in playing at the time.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 11:19 am    

TTT. Accepting offers. Use email. Thx!

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 4:25 am    

i have one i use for c6 single string i play on the couch. if you put a big pillow under it, it's about twice as loud. two inch pink styrofoam is really loud. seems crazy but all the air pockets must give more volume like a baffle. i also bought a $7 stick-on contact pickup from ebay that worked pretty well.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 9:30 am    

Gary Spaeth wrote:
i have one i use for c6 single string i play on the couch. if you put a big pillow under it, it's about twice as loud. two inch pink styrofoam is really loud. seems crazy but all the air pockets must give more volume like a baffle. i also bought a $7 stick-on contact pickup from ebay that worked pretty well.

I thought about adding the contact pickup. Easy for a new owner to do that.

Samuel Rogers

Georgia
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 1:33 pm     Pm sent

Pm sent

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 2:06 pm     Re: Pm sent

Samuel Rogers wrote:
Pm sent

Sent you a reply and thanks!