The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  opinions on the different bars for lap steel guitars
Roy Fouts

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 7:51 am    

I am very curious to get opinions on the different bars for lap steel guitars. I have used a plastic 3/4" round bar and am presently using a "lap Dawg", which I like very much, but have heard that some of the composite bars give a much more mellow sound. The Hawaiian sound is what I would like to shoot for and wonder if these bars would help to achieve that sound. Any comments and sources would be appreciated.

Peter Krebs

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 8:05 am    

Hi Roy,
I’m really enjoying the bar I purchased from Todd Clinesmith (available through his website). I can get a concise yet mellow sound out of it without too much of the add’l gliss that I hear with steel bars. For a steel bar, I do like the feel and sound of my old Broz-o-phonic bar, though I’m not sure if they’re still available (or perhaps made under a different name). Just my 2 cents - hope that helps!

Charles Stange

San Francisco, California
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 9:08 am    

I have a favorite old "Burden Bullet", even so, I've always felt that its 99% the player not the bar. just me I guess.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 9:38 am    

I love my 3" x 7/8" Eezee Slide polymer bar. I use it for both 6 and 8 string steels. It has very low string drag and is very quiet on the wound strings compared to steel bars.

The tone is just slightly rounder than a steel bar with possibly a little less sustain, but I wouldn't really call it mellow or dull in any way. For example, I don't really change my amp settings on those rare occasions when I pick up a steel bar and it's not any brighter than the polymer bar. I agree with Peter that the polymer has a bit less "zing" when you gliss. And I have seen super great Hawaiian players get wonderfully "mellow" tones from their steel bars, so I think that aspect is really in the player's hands and the settings he chooses for guitar and amp. Mainly I love my polymer bar for the feel, quickness and control it allows me. Tone is not much of a factor for me.

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 10:42 am    

Peter Krebs wrote:
... For a steel bar, I do like the feel and sound of my old Broz-o-phonic bar, though I’m not sure if they’re still available (or perhaps made under a different name). ...

The Broz-O-Phonic is still made, now called the Latch Lake Bar, https://latchlakemusic.com/slides/hawaiian-bar/ . Sometimes it's in stock at Lunchbox Audio, I picked up a used one here on the forum and love it for 6 and 8 string lap steel.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 6:53 am    

I started with a Broz-o-phonic, and then moved to a couple different Ezee-Slides. Not sure I can say the sound changed at all but the feel is great. I'm sure the Clinesmith bar is similar to the Ezee Slide.

I think the most important thing if you want the "Hawaiian sound" is choosing a bar that adapts well to Hawaiian technique...which almost certainly is going to be a bullet bar, of a size that makes a variety of slants possible (forward, reverse, split bar, etc...a bar that is too long is going to make reverse slants a chore, and you want the size of the nose to work well for split bar slants). The optimal size will depend on your hand, comfort, etc. I feel like bar material is less impactful on the sound as long as its a good solid, hefty bar (steel or weighted composite).

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 8:25 am    

Pedal steel I use a BJS bar or a Jim Burden Bullet (stainless steel) bar.

I recently bought an 8 string non pedal. I tried my Pedal Steel bar but too long. I bought a Dunlop 920 stainless steel Jerry Byrd bar and it is the correct length for an 8 string.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 9:28 am    

Holdability is a big factor for me. I started with the Broz, which i still have and is a copy of the Sol Hoopii bar i believe, perhaps ill call it that, but i got a big 1"x 3.2" ZB bar with a guitar and find it way easier to hold and i just got a glass Silica Sound bar the same size that is killer. The plastic Nick Manoloff bars are always good and traditional sized too, very easy to hold.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 8:47 am    

My favorite bar is my Clinesmith 3/4. I also love my BJS Jerry Byrd bar but prefer the feel and tone of the Clinesmith.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 4:55 am    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
The plastic Nick Manoloff bars are always good and traditional sized too, very easy to hold.

Those are my favorite, both for size and weight - and they sound great!

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 6:03 am    

I’ve tried various bars but keep going back to the Dunlop bullet bars. Sound and feel great to me! And the price is good.

Though I continue to have fun trying out other bars.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 6:47 am    

I've had several bars over the years but never got into collecting them. Currently I have: Tribone, Dunlop Jerry Byrd, John Pearse Thermo Cryonic, a custom signature rail bar Cindy Cashdollar gave me, A Dunlop Pedal Steel bar and my hands-down favorite, a white Clinesmith bar. Whenever I use a rail bar I feel like my left hand skills are about 30% hampered though my intonation improves a bit.