The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intervals, different way to see it....
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 8:21 pm    

A bulb just went off. I have always thought the intervals spoken about were only how chords were made:
Major - 1, 3, 5.
Minor - 1, b3, 5.
Dom 7th 1, 3, 5, b7th, etc., but all those numbers are relative only to the chord itself.

I finally thought to look at it relative to the note numbers of the key, instead. For example: key of C.

C, D, E, F, G, A, B=
1...2..3...4..5...6..7. Now, C major is still:

C 1, 3, 5. - - BUT (this is the change), relative to C:
Dm 2, 4, 6.
Em 3, 5, 7.
F. 4, 6, 1.
G7 5, 7, 2, 4.
Am 6, 1, 3.
Bd 7, 2, 4.

I thought that was interesting, as memorizing it would make chord recognition easier, rather than having to know each note involved. And knowing what numbers are on your strings, along with pedal changes is another plus! Just thought I'd share this bulb........Pat. Now I get it!

ps. Is the app program still available that shows your string notes/numbers along with the changes?

Last edited by Pat Chong on 10 Sep 2021 4:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 8:55 am     Steel sidekick

Quote:
Is the app program still available that shows your string notes/numbers along with the changes?

If this is the one you’re thinking of, it’s free in the app store, mac only
https://appadvice.com/app/steel-sidekick/802758051
I still prefer thinking of chord intervals in terms of 1-3-5, rather than their scale interval counterparts. I wish the app could be configured to show them that way no matter what key is displayed. I don’t want to have to think about the 6th scale tone being the 9th of the 5 chord.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 9:45 am     Re: Intervals, different way to see it....

Pat Chong wrote:
A bulb just went off. I have always thought the intervals spoken about were only how chords were made:
Major - 1, 3, 5.
Minor - 1, b3, 5.
Dom 7th 1, 3, 5, b7th, etc., but all those numbers are relative only to the chord itself.

I finally thought to look at it relative to the note numbers of the key, instead. For example: key of C.

C, D, E, F, G, A, B=
1...2..3...4..5...6..7. Now, C major is still:

C 1, 3, 5. - - BUT (this is the change), relative to C:
Dm 2, 4, 6.
Em 3, 5, 7.

F. 4, 6, 1.
G7 5, 7, 2, 4.
Am 6, 1, 3.
Bd 7, 2, 4.

I thought that was interesting, as memorizing it would make chord recognition easier, rather than having to know each note involved. And knowing what numbers are on your strings, along with pedal changes is another plus! Just thought I'd share this bulb........Pat. Now I get it!

ps. Is the app program still available that shows your string notes/numbers along with the changes?

It's the "Piano-Player's" way to look at it. Because the lineup on a keyboard is linear.
And it's absolutely correct.
Just that I would suggest using the term "degrees" instead of intervals, because, to give an example: the INTERVAL between the M3rd and the P5th DEGREES is a minor-third. Intervals are the distance from ANY degree to ANY other... Intervals are not forcibly attached to the "I" (the One or First degree).

I think your "bulb" ON moment is a great analysis.
Yet, when you are in a different chord, the degrees of the key chord will create other "color" sounds: The key's Root will not "say" the same thing being the b7th of the iim7 or IIDom7th or the M3rd degree of a VI chord etc, as it did as the root sound to the key chord.
So, I think it's a great analysis of where things are "hiding in plain sight", but musically, playing by ear, trying to find what you seek to hear, it would in my opinion still serve one better to know the degrees to each chord and assimilate their "color" or "expression" to positions.
It WILL help to find that not only a vim7 but a iim (very important and most overlooked!), iiim and the V7 all share a lot of notes with the underlining M-Key chord.

INTERESTING subject! Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Thornton Lewis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 5:11 pm    

One advantage of looking at chords in terms of the degrees of the home scale is it makes voice leading very clear. If you want to go from V7 (5,7,2,4) to I (1,3,5,7) it makes it pretty obvious that the 4 is going to the 3 and the 2 is going to the 1. Try moving V7 to vii-7b5.
It also makes the same chord with different names stand out (I6 1,3,5,6= vi-7 6,1,3,5.)
Guess what? Your pedals and levers make most of these changes for you allowing you to sustain the voices that don't move while changing the ones that do and making you sound ... beautiful.
Tom Bradshaw has a thorough explication of this for E9 which will certainly help you apply it to C6 (or any instrument for that matter.)
https://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/for_sale.php

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 6:45 pm    

I teach this and some times get so frustrated when a student can't get it. Way to go. Communication with other musicians will also now be improved. Ron

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 4:08 am    

Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

Hi Fred. No, that's not the program, I don't have a Mac. I believe it's from a member on the forum, made it some time ago. I'll have to look it up. By the way, I like the Muppet characters in your thumbnail.... I, too, prefer the usual "1, b3, 5" etc. method of chord ID, but the alternate method helps me to "see" chords within a numerical lineup.

Hi JD. Thanks for the insight, apparently I/some are using the word "intervals" in the wrong context, I'll be looking up "degrees" to see how it applies.

Hi, Thorton. Yes, it is interesting how different chords have the same notes, but you are right, that it is easier to see, along with possible changes, when in numerical context.

Hi Ron. It may be the context (chord vs note vs degree numbers) that is confusing. Anyway, luck on your teaching....

I envy those who can look at a chord and know exactly what notes would be in it. However, looking at it numerically, simplifies the process. Later folks, back to "noodling"! ......Pat.

Last edited by Pat Chong on 11 Sep 2021 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 4:15 am    

Pat, the only other program I know of is called Guitar Map, created by Forum member Karlis Abolins. I think you have to send him a pm about how to acquire it.

John Sohn, creator of Steel Sidekick, is also a Forum member.
Statler and Waldorf give both programs thumbs up 👍

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 4:29 am    

Thanks Fred, I'll look those programs up.....Pat