The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Andy Volk-Lap Steel Guitar
Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 11:55 am    

Andy Volk's 'Lap Steel Guitar' book is described as "the first-ever comprehensive book about lap-steel and console steel guitars. Includes: interviews and profiles of more than 35 of the greatest electric and acoustic steel guitarists of the past and present, representing most forms of music played in the world today; previously unpublished photos and commentary on vintage steel guitars and new instruments from the best modern builders; resources for guitars, amplifiers, accessories, instructional materials, steel guitar tunings; and much more. Players covered include: Junior Brown, Bob Brozman, Jerry Byrd, Papa Cairo, Jody Carver, Cindy Cashdollar, Bruce Clarke, John Ely, Pete Grant, Steve Howe, Andy Iona, Harry Manx, Dick McIntire, Santo & Johnny and dozens of others." All I can say is this is a great book for anyone interested in lap steel....although I suspect many on this forum already know that. But if you don't then you should. A must read.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 4:06 pm    

Agreed, and seconded!

This book should be in every lap steelers library.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 6:36 pm    

I love this book so much...I believe it actually has a soul.

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 5:14 am    

Thank you for your comments!

It's quite humbling that something that starts as a slowly percolating notion, then becomes a project that sits of my desktop for 13 months as a work in progress eventually goes out into the world and touches people around the world.

A lot has happened since the book came out in 2003 and I'd consider doing a revised edition but the original working layout master files have gone missing for both me and the publisher so it's likely to remain a time steel guitar capsule.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 7:45 am    

I've been meaning to order Any's book for some time, so I just did. Thanks for the reminder!

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2021 4:09 pm    

Yeah buddy, i get alot of mileage out of my copy. Andy contributes alot to the non pedal steel world, there isn't alot of people willing to add to the enjoyment of our somewhat defunct instrument, most instructional material is 60+ years old. Thanks Andy!

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 3:49 pm    

I absolutely love this book. I have always dreamed of one of my laps being in it. LOL.
I can say, I do own a few treasures just like the ones featured.
A great book.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 3:07 pm    

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I ordered a copy of Andy's book. Anything that's got soul got my interest.

Terry, I'll let you know if my copy has a few of your beauties in it!

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 9:34 am    

I worked in Palo Alto yesterday and got to stop into Gryphon music (awesome shop), they had a good selection of Andy's books so i was able to get the 18 arrangements in B11 book, now ive got work to do. Im loving this tuning.
I've played steel and mostly bottleneck for years, kinda stuck in a blues rut ( not a bad place to be) but Andy's books and contributions here have really helped me make sense of non major tunings, I'm actually getting somewhere with B11, C6 and A6 where it used to be when i picked up something in those tunings i hated it.... Gimme my E or D, low bass A or G! That's my story and im stickin to it.