The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with a Nashville 112 ?
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 4:09 am    

I have a Nashville 112, and use it all the time. It works perfectly and I love it. But I have a friend in Virginia, who is having trouble with his 112. Sometimes it just won't kick on. I suggested that it was not getting a strong enough input signal. I said bypass the volume pedal, and plug straight into the amp. Turn up the volume and see if that makes it come on with a loud blast. Do you think that's good advice? Do you have any other ideas? Thanks, Tommy.....

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 5:18 am    

I think that would be a good way to blow a speaker.
Yes, try it without the volume pedal, but at a sensible volume.

Is he sure it is the amp and not the volume pedal or a cable?

If it is the amp, I suggest taking it to a Peavey service center or if he wants to ship the chassis to Peavey, I can arrange that for him.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 6:03 am    

Try the guitar cord jumper trick (thanks to Mike Brown).
There are three points that can cause no signal.
1. Pre EQ Effects loop
2. Post EQ Effects loop
3. Preamp Out/Power Amp In

Try one at a time to see if one of these is causing the problem (dirty contact on return or Power Amp In jack).
Connect a guitar cord from the Effects Loop out (or Preamp Out) to the Loop in (or Power Amp In). If its one of these the guitar cord jumper will find it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 8:34 pm    

I would get a can of spray contact cleaner/lube and (with the amp unplugged), spray it into every jack, front and back. Then I'd take a plug (the end of a guitar cord), and plug it in and out of each jack rapidly about 10-20 times.

Then plug in, turn on, and see if things have improved! Mr. Green

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 7:34 pm    

This also happened to my Nashville 112. One day I just lost my signal with the guitar plugged into the normal input jacks. I was just practicing at home when the signal failed. The day before I played an outdoor gig with no problems whatsoever. I eventually tracked it down to a worn effects send jack just after the preamp stage. I tweaked the springs and sprayed all the jacks with contact cleaner, then inserted and withdrew plugs over and over. This solved the loss of signal.

The reason I didn't notice this before was that I run a three wire setup that uses the effects send and return jacks (plus the normal input jack). Running my 5 effect pedals through the high gain loop gets well above the noise level and I like the setup.

My effects setup is outlined below. The effects loop is the first one on the left, right after the first stage preamp.

1. Guitar output to BoBro pedal input. Pedal sits against right front leg and right edge of pedal bar.
  2. Short cord from BoBro pedal to Goodrich LDR volume pedal input #1.
  3. Volume pedal input #2 to Boss TU-3 digital chromatic tuner. This is a parallel feed from input #1 and is buffered.
  4. Volume pedal output has long cord to the amp's high gain input.
  5. The Effects loop Send feeds a long cord back under the guitar, feeding under the volume pedal to the rear left of the vp to a Boss DD-2 long delay pedal.
  6. The DD-2 output jumps across to a Digitech DigiDelay set to a short slapback that sits on an angle by the right rear leg.
  7. The Digitech out feeds a short cord to a Boss RV-5 reverb.
  8. The output of the reverb feeds back to the amp's Effects Return jack.

Because I always run a three wire setup, the effects send jack's contacts got set in the raised position. When I plugged in without hooking up the full cable bundle, the pre-raised spring contact stayed up and caused an open circuit.

I guess I should buy replacement jacks for the effects loop if I can find the exact part numbers somewhere. They have circuit board solder terminal mounts. I bought a couple from a parts supplier and they were not what I required.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2021 6:42 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
...I guess I should buy replacement jacks for the effects loop if I can find the exact part numbers somewhere. They have circuit board solder terminal mounts. I bought a couple from a parts supplier and they were not what I required....

Wiz, according to Jack Stoner, the Nashville 112 uses the same preamp as their Nashville 1000. Looking at that schematic, the Peavey part number for the effects loop send/return jacks is 71466165. These guys sell Peavey parts including jacks, you could verify the part number with them. https://www.amprepairparts.com/peaveyjacks.htm