The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Electro Harmonix B9 or C9
Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2021 6:53 am    

Does anybody use these organ emulating pedals? If so, how do you like them?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2021 3:58 pm    

I have a B9 and use it occasionally, more for for variety than anything else. It does take a little time and practice on technique (no pedal bending) to make it sound best. I kinda like it, but I've found that most people don't appreciate it much, as they'd rather hear the pedal steel sound like a pedal steel. Oh Well

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 6:37 am    

If you haven't thought of it, you should try searching the forum.

There have been numerous topic discussions in the past on these two pedals.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 8:53 am     C9

I’ve owned both. I prefer the C9 for Hammond organ emmulation. The key click feature is more workable.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 7:52 am    

C9 is better for Pedal Steel.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 8:09 am    

The B9 is just multiple flavors of Hammond, whereas the C9 has other organs so thats a plus.

I slightly prefer one of the B9 patches for my Hammond sound, but if I had not already had the B9, I probably would have bought only the C9.

The other thing I would add is that for both of these a seperate Leslie pedal with speed switching and ramp makes it much more realistic, I am using a Boss RT-20.

I also use the Mel9, I use Mel9 the beginning and the B9/RT-20 at the end in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcltwG8aGLc

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 4:37 pm    

I’ve owned both. I am happier with C9 than I was with the B9.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 9:21 am    

I’ve owned both. I kept the C9. The best way I can describe the two would be to say that the C9 is more Jimmy Smith while the B9 is more “Take Me Out To The Ball Game”.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 7:28 pm    

I tested both on 6 string electric and preferred the C9 overall. I would expect similar results on steel guitar. That said, I ended up buying a K9 instead because I wanted the electric piano sounds too - but if I needed versatile organs tones only I'd go with the C9.

All that said, my experience with them on both PSG and other instruments is that you need to play differently for them to sound close to the instruments they are emulating - for example, bending on 6 string, or sliding with the bar or bending with the changers on PSG, will make it not sound like an organ (at least not organs without a pitch bend capability ...). Voicings, vibrato, etc will typically also need to be modified in order for it to sound like a real organ part.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 8:10 pm    

Hopefully not to stray too much from the topic, I would ask Cappone about your evaluation of the K9 as used with the guitar or pedal steel. I'm particularly interested in the Wurly and Rhodes emulations if you please. Thx.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 9:41 am    

I'm currently using a cheap pitch bending vibrato pedal to emulate a Farfisa or Continental organ for a surf band I play steel in. It works pretty well but I think I'd like to step up to a C9.

Does the C9 add any sustain or does it rely completely on your guitar's natural sustain?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 9:49 am    

I would say the C9 adds a good amount of sustain.
As long as the string is vibrating it keeps a pretty steady output.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 10:30 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
I would say the C9 adds a good amount of sustain.
As long as the string is vibrating it keeps a pretty steady output.

Thanks Pete!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 2:35 pm    

Which patch(es) do you guys like in the C9 for Hammond/Leslie sound? I haven't dialed it in right yet I guess...

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 3:53 pm    

I use the B9, but really only for pads or chording. That being said, I keep the key click off and use the Fat & Full voice. The steel goes into the B9 first, then into a modified EB wah (for the drawbar effect). These 3 components represent the “voice” of the “B3”. The volume pedal is next, because the B9 uses compression for its key sustain. Putting the volume ahead of the B9 is problematic. After the volume pedal the signal goes to a Neo Ventilator for the Leslie thing. I’m using an Ashby Solutions half moon for right hand control of the speed. Finally, a TC Electronic Hall of Fame verb to put it in a space.
All in all, I get a very convincing sound on the few songs our band does that needs some backing organ.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlKD5U9iGw

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 4:01 pm    

Sounds good Mike! What are those 2 pedals clipped to your guitar?

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 4:41 pm    

A tuner and a headphone amp. Actually not using that setup anymore. I’ve ditched the phones amp for our wedges and now use a Korg Pitchblack tuner on my pedal board/rack.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 7:57 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Hopefully not to stray too much from the topic, I would ask Cappone about your evaluation of the K9 as used with the guitar or pedal steel. I'm particularly interested in the Wurly and Rhodes emulations if you please. Thx.

The Rhodes and Wurly are 2 of my favs - on 6 string I use them mostly for dub/reggae keys parts (the 'bobble', as it's often referred to around these parts ...), and it works very well for that. I sometimes use the organ preset blended with the dry guitar signal for fattening up single note lines (similar to how many players use a POG). I use the 'tri-glorious' for creating fat, sustained 'pads', typically with relatively heavy FX (delays, verb).

On PSG I've tried it a few times and it works (it tracks well, for example), but I haven't yet found practical uses for my particular playing - that said, I'm very new to PSG so I'm mostly focussed on just learning to play the thing and having a solid base tone. So my K9 lives on my 6 string board for now, but if I find a need for it on PSG I won't hesitate to use it. I've just started jamming in a duo with a singer/acoustic guitarist, and I'd love to try a B3 emulation on a tune that warrants it, for example. Though as I mentioned above - in order to sound like real e-piano or organ you can't really slide with the bar or use the changers - it still tracks fine and 'works' and there certainly could be creative/interesting uses of those effects, it just obviously doesn't sound like someone playing the instruments the pedal is intended to emulate.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 8:00 pm    

Mike Bacciarini wrote:
I use the B9, but really only for pads or chording. That being said, I keep the key click off and use the Fat & Full voice. The steel goes into the B9 first, then into a modified EB wah (for the drawbar effect). These 3 components represent the “voice” of the “B3”. The volume pedal is next, because the B9 uses compression for its key sustain. Putting the volume ahead of the B9 is problematic. After the volume pedal the signal goes to a Neo Ventilator for the Leslie thing. I’m using an Ashby Solutions half moon for right hand control of the speed. Finally, a TC Electronic Hall of Fame verb to put it in a space.
All in all, I get a very convincing sound on the few songs our band does that needs some backing organ.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlKD5U9iGw

That sounds great!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2021 7:43 pm    

Thanks for your reply re: the K9 Cappone. Your input is very helpful.

John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 9:08 am    

FWIW I didn't really like the Organ setting on the K9 so would probably bring 2 pedals if I wanted to cover both electric piano and organ.