The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EXstar (Excel) by Fuzzy Steel Guitar
Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 6:12 pm    

Colin Swinney wrote:
I would love to see a video of this mechanism in action.

There is a video floating around that shows a user changing the tuning of an Excel PSG from E9 to C6 (I think) with the movement of a lever on the top of the instrument. It's almost like a magic trick!

I can't remember where I saw it (possibly from a link on this forum). I did a quick search on the Fuzzy web site and on youtube, but I couldn't locate the video.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 7:11 pm    

Here is a link to the Facebook video. This is my guitar, Mitsuo posted it on the internet and I found it before I had my guitar. That was fun.

https://www.facebook.com/fuzzypsg/videos/1362270877208155

So on a Uni, you use 7 pedals and say 5 knees...at all times. And a B lock lever. Right?
The lock lever is like a crutch and allows E9 and C6 chord sounds and grips on the same set of strings. That's how I understand a Uni tuning. I've stuck to E9/C6 mostly because of the instructional material available.

These are more like having a D-12 and all the pedals/knees.

You play some E9, then when needed, you throw the lever and reposition your knee and play some C6. It's not like a Universal tuning.

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 8:03 pm    

So Mike. How many knee levers does your S12 have? Mitsuo's standard S12 E9/C6 comes with only 5 knee levers. I think I'm grasping that maybe I need more of them to separate the tunings' changes from each other. I have yet to see an Excel S12 E9/C6 copedent of any kind, this might clear it up for me. Does anyone have an S12 copedent diagram they could post?

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2021 6:31 am    

Hi Peter,
Mine both have 7 knees. The standard 5 and two more center knees left and right.

My guitars have a dead standard Emmons setup. Same as I have on my D-10 PP.

I'll post a chart here in a bit.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2021 11:19 am    

Here it is. Standard Emmons 8+7 all the way.
This is what I sent to Mitsuo.

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 11:41 am    

Thanks so much! Very Helpful. Here is what I came up with.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2021 10:15 am    

Lookin good Peter.

Just played both mine last night. Both work flawlessly. They also have a such a great bold sound.

I'm excited to see what you and Mitsuo come up with.

My best tip for ordering/communicating with Mitsuo is to keep your English simple and short. He is pretty good with English, and we are horrible at speaking Japanese! Smile

I believe he has a friend that helps him with communication, so it's pretty smooth.

But short is best. Leave the commas and semi-colons out. Smile

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2021 10:29 am    

I'm still wondering why Mitsuo chose the name Fuzzy all those years ago. I asked him but never got a response.

if anyone knows, please share!

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2021 7:04 pm    

I think I heard that was his country name. Fuzzy Fujii.

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 9:23 pm    

I have half stops on my present guitar, but what is a split?

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 9:25 pm    

BTW, sent my application fee to Japan today. I'll wait a few days for him to get it, and then we roll......Thanks so much for your help, you guys are great!!

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 6:58 am    

Congrats. I can't wait to see it! Should be pretty quick, He usually quotes 2 months I think. That's what mine took.

Splits are when you have say, a pedal that raises a string and a lever that lowers the same string. A tunable split allows you to get some note between the raised and lowered notes.

Can't think of a real example, I don't really used any splits.

These Excel guitars come with tunable splits on every string.

Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 7:06 am    

Peter Roush wrote:
I have half stops on my present guitar, but what is a split?

Mickey Adams has a good YouTube video on split tuning in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWRBvau4ms

Benjamin Poilve

France
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 4:26 am    

Don't know if that is totally on-topic but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the upkeep and more specifically the procedure to lubricate those recent ExStars.

I have a gig coming up (first real one, so quite nervous) and I wanted to make a thorough checkup but I don't think there is any documentation for those new changers. Did anybody had some information from Mitsuo on the subject?

For example, I read somewhere that you needed to release tension from the strings before lubricating each finger (which I did on my last steel), but I don't think that just tuning down the strings from the changer would give enough slack for that. Also do you proactively change some strings before a concert?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 5:47 am    

I love all the lever hardware for adjustment/positioning.
One question, related to a discussion elsewhere -- I require considerable "dangle" on the vertical -- I want it positioned a half inch above the knee on my short legs. A folding extender works brilliantly on my Williams (actually custom machined for even more extension) and a similar bit of hardware is offered by Mullen. These extenders fold back on themselves to deal with the problem of casing the guitar. Plus they enable semi-horizontal position instead of a steep diagonal angle.

What happens with these Excel vertical levers when you case the guitar? Do you fold them back?

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 5:34 pm    

Following... hey Tony Parish, get me with and we'll talk about all this!

Professor Twang

Charles Petrie

Indianapolis, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 1:30 pm    

Benjamin Poilve wrote:
Don't know if that is totally on-topic but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the upkeep and more specifically the procedure to lubricate those recent ExStars.

I found Greg Cutshaw's page on this topic to be a great help:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Lubricate/Lubricate.html

Benjamin Poilve

France
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2021 11:59 pm    

Charles Petrie wrote:

I found Greg Cutshaw's page on this topic to be a great help:

Thanks for the link, it does seems like a great starting point !

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2021 5:59 am    

Jon Light wrote:
I love all the lever hardware for adjustment/positioning.
One question, related to a discussion elsewhere -- I require considerable "dangle" on the vertical -- I want it positioned a half inch above the knee on my short legs. A folding extender works brilliantly on my Williams (actually custom machined for even more extension) and a similar bit of hardware is offered by Mullen. These extenders fold back on themselves to deal with the problem of casing the guitar. Plus they enable semi-horizontal position instead of a steep diagonal angle.

What happens with these Excel vertical levers when you case the guitar? Do you fold them back?

Jon,
I always thought it strange it's called a "verticle" knee when it's more horizontal Rolling Eyes
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2022 10:15 pm    

Hi Guys. Been a while. Still Enjoying my Excel S12 E9/C6. Very nice overall. Tuning is OK. However still there is the issue of String 11 which is an E in E9 and an F in C6. It is either sharp in E9 or flat in C6 because that change is beyond the throw reach of the changer(s). I've compensated by tuning the F in C6 reasonably flat and the E in E9 noticeably sharp and stretching it before playing along with (following Greg's advice) bar compensating and good muting with the right hand helps. Loving this string. I wonder if I change gauge from stock .054 to .056 and see if it will improve this situation, (or should I try a .052?)

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2022 10:03 am    

Peter, there is zero reason for that string re-tune to not work. It's well within the range of the fingers - there must be another reason why it's not working right.

I'd take a good look under there and try to see what the problem is. Pedal 5 and Pedal 8 actuate that finger in C6 mode - make sure that everything is OK with those pulls when in either E9 of C6 mode. Like if it's bound or overtuned.

If I had to guess, throwing the retuner is causing something to bind with the pulls or nylon tuners on either string 5 or 8.

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 7:32 pm    

Yeah Mike, so that’s what Fujii told me but I may have mis- understood due to language. Nothing is hitting underneath. In E9 when I try to flatten the E with the tuning peg it stops sharp and the peg spins freely. Could it be I must release the set screw and move the finger to get more throw?

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 11:58 am    

Hi Peter,
Does your guitar have all the tuning at the changer fingers like Benjamin's? No tuning pegs at the keyhead end?

If it's not too much trouble, can you post a photo of your guitar's changer from the top and from the underside?

String 11 is normally and E, then the retune lever lowers it to an F (partially engaging the lower finger) then it's raised to F# again by P5 (using the raise finger) and then lowered on P8 back to E - which would push the lower finger further that it's being pushed by the retune lever/bar.

There has to be enough slack to allow all that to happen without binding.

The guitar will do what it's supposed to do. Either it's misadjusted/bound, or something is wrong with the finger.

I'd love it if we could get this figured out for you. We can do it.

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 7:34 pm    

Mike. Thanks so much for your continued interest. Yes all tuning is at the changer. I have yours, JD'x and Greg's instructions and I'll revisit this and send pics, later next month. I re-read Greg's and I may have been wrong in my interpreting that had the same issue. JD also sent considerable time with his replies and I thank you all. [/u]

Peter Roush

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 7:37 pm    

BTW - Love this guitar! I'm using E9 strings 11 and 12 more and more. Revolutionary. Still having E9 strings 10. 8, 6 grip problem and occasionaly grabbing 11 and 12, but getting better. B4 a gig I sometimes mark 10,8,6 with a sharpie, doesn't seem to affect the sound.