The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 amp - thoughts?
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 1:01 pm    

Howdy - newbie player here. I stumbled on a Craigslist ad for a Nashville 112 pedal steel amp for a few hundred less than they usually sell for new, and at least a couple hundred less than it looks like they sell for used.

But I'm curious - what's the consensus on these? (I searched the forum and found some for sale posts but not a lot of chatter about how people like them.)

Thanks!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 2:52 pm    

One of the most used amps at most steel shows I attended in the last several years. It's a definite winner.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 2:56 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
One of the most used amps at most steel shows I attended in the last several years. It's a definite winner.
+1 Smile

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 3:53 pm    

Great amp. If you buy it, order the aluminum bar that goes over the control knobs to protect them. They tend to get knocked off.

Jim Eaton was making these. Does he still?

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 4:15 pm    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
Larry Dering wrote:
+1 Smile

Thanks! 2 votes on this forum is honestly enough to convince me. Gonna look into it!

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 4:18 pm    

I have 3 of them and I love everyone of them

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 5:28 am    

Great amps. A lot of bang for the buck. The middle pot will probably need to be cleaned to keep it from popping when turned. A common thing.

Here is a Nashville 112 on this recording.

CLICK HERE

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 7:38 am    

Peavey Nashville 112, I’m in the process of replacing the stock 12” speaker with a 15” eps-15c speaker in a custom Tommy Huff cab to lighten the load.
Bruce

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2021 7:44 am    

I think the reason you don't see a ton of discussion about them is that they have become the de facto standard for an awful lot of pedal steel players since they came out in the early-mid 2000s.

The NV 112 is a solid, middle-of-the-road clean pedal steel amp. Sounds good if what you want is solid, clean pedal steel sound. It is not a 'boutiquey' amp. At 80 Watts RMS, it's pretty loud but not the loudest out there - e.g., Session/NV 400/500/1000, Webb, some of the Evans, and so on. But I think it can keep up in most gigging situations. I guess if you're in a really loud band without sound reinforcement, it might run out of gas, especially if you're pushing the low end on C6 or a 12-string. But I haven't had problems when I've used mine.

Weight is not ultra-light like some of the class D amps around these days, but it's not obnoxiously heavy either. Around the weight of my Vibrolux Reverbs, I think I weighed it some time ago around 47-48 pounds. Significantly lighter than most of the stock high power pedal steel amps I've had.