The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How are Gibson Royaltones?
Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 7:11 pm    

Hi all,
There's a Gibson Royaltone for sale not too, too far from where I live. The nobs aren't original, which is all I know about it, really, other than that it has the string cover still and the photo makes that look good.

How do they sound? (When I play electric, I play a borrowed rickenbacker panda.)

What would you pay for one, all things being equal?

Thanks for your input. I've been saving up for a clinesmith frying pan, but if I can get this cheap enough, it might tide me over.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 6:05 am    

There were two completely different Gibson lap steels marketed as Royaltones -- the early ones with the unique symmetrical body shape and a thin maple veneer top, and the later ones in a more traditional shape similar to a BR-6, painted an odd shade of green. The green ones are relatively uncommon. The original is one of the first Gibsons to feature the P-90 pickup. Definitely worth checking out. They sound fine, but not as wonderful as a Bakelite (in my opinion). If it's in reasonably good condition and you can get it for a good price, I'd pull the trigger (but I'm a big fan of postwar Gibsons).

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 6:32 am    

Thanks. This one isn't a typical shape. Looks like this: http://www.planetgaa.com/RT/

So it's one of the earlier models, I suppose. The seller is asking for $700, but since I'm not looking to own a ton of lapsteels, perhaps I ought to just keep saving towards what I really want.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 6:40 am    

In my opinion, $700 is no exceptional bargain. However, the prices on postwar Gibsons have seemingly been creeping upwards in recent years, no doubt. I'd be inclined to agree with you, and put that money towards a new Clinesmith.

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 6:18 pm    

Thanks for the reaaurance that I'm not being foolish. Cool