The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton pedal dark sounding?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2021 10:21 pm    

Anybody witnessed this issue? It's one of the early ones I got from a friend that has the attached P/S and tone control. It's been sitting a few years, but hardly used.

I've only used it a couple times myself, but it just starting sounding muddy...much darker than my Goodrich pot pedals. No, it's not hooked up backwards and it's not the amp or the settings or speakers because everything sounds just fine with the Goodrich 120.

No novice here, I've been messing with these things for over 40 yrs.

I did try adjusting the tone control, but it didn't change anything. I marked the position and I'm sure I didn't over adjust it.

I did message Keith, so I'll see what he says...just curious if anyone else has seen this.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2021 9:44 am    

No, never heard of that problem with an active pedal. But that's the main reason I still use a pot pedal, and have never had to carry a spare. With a pot pedal, if anything goes wrong, I know what it is and how to fix it. Winking

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2021 10:52 am    

Keith replied right away. He advised sending the pedal in for repair. He has a reasonable inspect and upgrade fee, but final repair may depend on what else is needed plus the freight both ways. I think the P/S is OK, but a replacement is extra expense also.

He offered to eliminate some of the controls and install some upgrades. Very thorough and helpful message.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do though. I dunno if I want to invest more dough in it. I may decide to pass it on to someone who wants to follow through with the inspection and subsequent repairs. We'll see. I can PM particulars to anyone interested.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 8:53 am    

I sent the pedal in last week for inspection. I'm waiting to hear back from Keith concerning repairs.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 7:33 pm    

I sent both of my VP's to Mr. Hilton for maintenance or whatever's required last year (Ithink), he explained a bit about replacing diodes and resistors on both the input and output facing circuits but pretty much went over my head. I just know they sound great.

Ben Harper likes his too, Asher lap steel to a couple Dumbles(!) https://youtu.be/yS6Q_uN_C1s?t=3322

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 7:07 pm    

The "Dumble" is an extraordinary amplifier. As are the "Blue" amplifiers. Larry Carlton has both, moded by Jose. Just amazing, the Brad Sarno Octal amps are on par with these great amps. All 3 are just extraordinary.