The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stealin' Corn
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 1:45 pm    

Here's my take on the Stealin' Corn instrumental. I can't play it full speed yet but this version is at 180 BPM versus the original recording at 240 BPM. This is a home recording with a few dingers but I am sure over time more speed would come and it would sound smoother.

Steelin' Corn

I've got all the steel tab and all kinds of backing tracks at different speeds on my web site as well as links to where you can get accurate lead guitar tabs for this song:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Stealin%27%20Corn%20Tab/Stealin%27%20Corn%20Tab.html

Added 8/19/21, stereo mix with guitar panned 40% left and steel panned 40% right:

Steelin' Corn

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 17 Aug 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 2:08 pm    

That's mighty fine Greg. Good playing and recording technique.

RC

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 3:37 pm    

Yes indeed Greg…I like the little slower version. Thanks for sharing your music and your sharing of tabs/tracks…very kind of you…Carl

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 7:06 pm    

Thanks a lot, Greg! I have been struggling with that tune for a while now trying to get up to a decent tempo with my sloppy technique. I’m going to have go with it using your tab and see if it helps and will report back. Smile

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 4:59 am    

Thanks for the nice comments. It's a Taylor made for C6 song the way the strings line up. I am sure it can be played just fine on the E9th tuning as well. It's confusing at first because the lead and harmony parts swap back and forth between the steel and guitar and for a while they play in unison.

One other strange thing is that the song shifts from G to G# but the ending tag is played shifted back down to G.

I forgot to pan the steel and guitar a bit right and left when I mastered this so I'll post a remix soon. One of the original Strangers version of this had extreme pans on the two guitars and they stood out a lot more, not so flat sounding.

The French Family band has a real nice version of this with both parts played on guitar. I saw them live at the Ohio Opry and what a great show. Nice to see band with great dynamics and nobody playing over top of anyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2021 8:47 pm    

If you don't have the C6 tuning, I've added a real easy to play E9th version of the steel tab on my web site and in the Forum tab section.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2021 11:12 am    

Some fine work Greg.