The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembrance of Wayne Gailey
Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 10:28 pm    

Wayne Gailey Passed away on August 14, 1978 in Reno NV. He was in Reno doing what he loved best, playing steel guitar for all of the people that enjoyed his playing. We have heard story after story of what a great musical genius and steel guitar performer he was. In 1978, Wayne was living in Albuquerque, NM adding his talents to other musicians' works and playing the local scene with his band, "Swamproot." His family misses him very much! Love you, Dad and brother!

Daughter Patty and her husband Tom Alexander, daughter Melissa and husband Mike, sisters, Marlene and Sonia, and many grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 4:07 am     wayne G.

Tom and family; Really nice post and remembrance of Wayne.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 4:19 am    

I met Wayne at the 'Caravan East' in Albuquerque. He was working with Nestor Eaton. What an amazing steel guitar player he was! He let me sit at his steel and pick a little, he was a nice guy for sure!

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 11:06 am    

Ben Lawson wrote:
I met Wayne at the 'Caravan East' in Albuquerque. He was working with Nestor Eaton. What an amazing steel guitar player he was! He let me sit at his steel and pick a little, he was a nice guy for sure!

Thanks for sharing that story, Ben! We just love hearing the many stories out there about Wayne Gailey!

Regards,
Tom

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 5:21 pm    

A truly great and exciting player.

Dick Green

Park Rapids, MN
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 9:13 pm    

I also met Wayne at the Caravan East around 1971/72, after moving to Albuquerque from San Jose, CA. I was looking for work as a bass player at that time and as luck would have it, the band was looking for a bass player to work the 5-8 shift for a few months with the house band. During the three years that I lived in Albuquerque, I was very fortunate to have Wayne play steel occasionally with my band at various "critter" clubs around town on the weekends. Another great steel player I worked with during this period was Gary Naul. I learned about the passing of Wayne sometime back but I have not been able to find Gary, in case anyone knows. Wayne's great steel playing really fired me up to learn to play steel.
Williams SD10 (4x5), Quilter TT12 / TB202 combo, Hilton pedal

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 6:49 am    

Dick Green wrote:
I also met Wayne at the Caravan East around 1971/72, after moving to Albuquerque from San Jose, CA. I was looking for work as a bass player at that time and as luck would have it, the band was looking for a bass player to work the 5-8 shift for a few months with the house band. During the three years that I lived in Albuquerque, I was very fortunate to have Wayne play steel occasionally with my band at various "critter" clubs around town on the weekends. Another great steel player I worked with during this period was Gary Naul. I learned about the passing of Wayne sometime back but I have not been able to find Gary, in case anyone knows. Wayne's great steel playing really fired me up to learn to play steel.
Williams SD10 (4x5), Quilter TT12 / TB202 combo, Hilton pedal

What a wonderful memory of Wayne....thank you so much for sharing!
Regards,
Tom and Patty Alexander

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 12:05 pm    

Did Wayne play in Colorado Springs area in early 1971? Maybe with Kenny Dale?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 6:26 pm    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
Did Wayne play in Colorado Springs area in early 1971? Maybe with Kenny Dale?

I know Wayne Gailey played at the Navajo Hogan in Colorado Springs with Kenny Vernon and Nestor Eaton. That is where Forumite George Duncan Syphert first met him. Not sure if he ever played with Kenny Dale.

Regards,
Tom Alexander

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 7:03 pm    

I meant Kenny Vernon. I was at Ft Carson in the Spring of 1971 and went to the Navajo Hogan on weekends, when I could. I talked to Wayne on break one evening. He not only impressed me with his playing, but with his western style boots with zippered sides. I went out and bought some of those when I got out of the Army. Do you know if Wayne played on any of the recordings with Kenny Vernon and LuWanda Lindsey?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 8:02 am    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
I meant Kenny Vernon. I was at Ft Carson in the Spring of 1971 and went to the Navajo Hogan on weekends, when I could. I talked to Wayne on break one evening. He not only impressed me with his playing, but with his western style boots with zippered sides. I went out and bought some of those when I got out of the Army. Do you know if Wayne played on any of the recordings with Kenny Vernon and LuWanda Lindsey?

Great story Dennis! Thanks for sharing. And, I do not know about whether or not Wayne played on the aforementioned recordings. I will have my wife give Kenny Vernon a call and try to find out.

Regards,
Tom and Patty Alexander

Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2021 11:47 am    

Tom Alexander wrote:
Dennis Detweiler wrote:

Great story Dennis! Thanks for sharing. And, I do not know about whether or not Wayne played on the aforementioned recordings. I will have my wife give Kenny Vernon a call and try to find out.

Regards,
Tom and Patty Alexander

Dennis,

Wayne Gailey did not play on any of the Kenny Vernon/Lawanda Lindsey recordings.
Thanks again for your story!

Regards,
Tom and Patty Alexander