The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Phase shifter
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 6:59 am    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
...I'd be skeptical that the VP1 is a true-bypass.

Today -- especially with the mass-market Asian exporters -- "true-bypass" has evolved into more of a marketing term than a technical term.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 7:52 pm    

I like the Gilamondo, by Mr. Black. It has an unusual feature in that it allows you to stop the sweep and adjust the effect manually to a fixed position.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 10:02 pm    

Karl Paulsen wrote:

Good to know about the noise issue with recording.

I wonder if those are a function of the Behringer specifically or a function of the original Small Stone design. I'm fairly certain the Small Stone is not a true bypass pedal to begin with, but I've not recorded with either so I don't know if it is inherently noisy.

The original Small Stone was the first stompbox I bought, back in the 80's. I liked the sound, but it was EXTREMELY noisy, so I got rid of it.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 2:55 am    

I like this Hotone well enough that it's been on my board for almost 3 years. It definitely overdrives but it's a surprisingly ok sound. I've tried several pedals to replace it but so far it has stayed put.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 3:16 am    

I won't recommend a specific phaser but I'll recommend a type. Seek one of the older style MXR script type phasors with the "smoother" less gainy type of phasing. Something like a Mutron Phasor III. I find the modern block type MXR phaser sound has too much gain for steel.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 6:16 am    

I use a Strymon Mobius. It's the only one I've used that can handle my pickup output. My steel always made the Phase 95 and 100 break up.

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 7:50 am    

Since we're including multi effects units, I'll plug the boss MD500. It has a nice script 90 emulation that breaks up and a highly tweakable custom phaser that's clean as a whistle.

It's a nice box and as many people will point out: it's worth getting if only for the amazing dimension c and ce-1 chorus modes. The dimension c is white magic.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 1:04 pm    

I still use the Mutron Phaser that I bought back in 1973. Because it plugs in, it has split power feeding the opamps and will take whatever signal you feed it: guitar, keyboards, line level. I don't have experience with the Phaser II but I expect that it is similar with slightly different controls. I fed it a line level recorded organ part to sweeten during mixing and it didn't have a problem with the signal.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 6:52 am    

I use one that I used back in the 70's. It's the Systech PHASE SHIFTER. Very good phaser fi you can find them. Back then they cost $29.00, now you'd be lucky to find one under $300.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 6:57 am    

There is a pedal that mimics the Mutron, the Nutron, same design.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 11:25 am    

The Behringer came today. I haven't hooked up to the steel yet so my evaluation may have to be amended.

I have it connected to guitar though, and I'm happy.

Running a S/C Tele through the MosValve/GP100 rack rig and a 9v apapter, I hear no noise at all. As others have noted, it does attenuate the volume a bit, but I don't notice any tone degradation and it sounds and operates as I remember the old Small Stone Phaser from the 70s, 80s.

It's the old familiar phaser sound I like and I believe it will suit my purpose perfectly.

I use a buffer anyway or a Hilton pedal with steel, so I don't anticipate anything negative.

Thanks again for the tip Karl.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 5:07 pm    

You're very welcome, so glad it seems to be working out for you! Looking forward to hearing your opinion of it with steel.

I'm certainly no expert on phasers -or any effects for that matter- but the VP1 was one of those situations where I plugged something in and it just sounded right.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 5:37 pm    

+1 on the Phase95. Basic unit but sounds like a phase shifter should.

For home use and recording it's the Mutron Bi-Phase for me. The world's largest phase shifter... actually two. Very versatile, lots of headroom. Got it in the '70s and obviously it's a keeper.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 11:38 am    

Since vintage mutron stuff is well out of my price range I built some pedalpcb projects inspired by the Mutron Biphase and Phasor II a little while back.
These are cool as they have trimpots inside to adjust the intensity and gaps in the pulse of the LED that controls the photoresistors. Awesome mellow retro sound. The Phase II is my go to as I found the big one a bit overkill for my needs.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 11:42 am    

Good looking pedals. Nice job.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 11:44 pm    

Folks,
Are there any Flangers that would work as a Phaser when set properly? Just wondering if I could get dual duty with a single pedal.

Thks

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2021 4:15 am    

Marty,

Aside from some of the multi effects units mentioned probably not as phasing and flanging are completely different on a technical level. Phasing is frequency based while flanging is time/delay based. There are chorus/univibe type pedals that get close to a mellow phasor type sound.

John

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2021 4:16 am    

Thank you, John.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2021 12:07 pm    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
You're very welcome, so glad it seems to be working out for you! Looking forward to hearing your opinion of it with steel.

Karl, have the steel where I can connect the VP-1. It sounds about the same as I can remember the old Small Stone and is not noisy at all. Also, the stomp switch is soft and doesn't have that click and pop like the others. This is a new one, so it may have some upgrades from the ones players say are noisy.

With the switch in the up position, you can get some really wild sounds just like the old analog units if one so desires....I don't but it's there. I like it with the switch down and the rate about 3 for my use.

If there's anything I don't like it's the volume attenuation but since there's no level control I expect it's preset to a level to mitigate any hi volume noise too. I also use a Match Box so I can boost the vol there if needed or the volume control on the guitar.

It's kind of a one trick pony, but that's what I want it for. At $35 it's a bargain and does what a phaser is supposed to do.

It'll go in my possibles bag, but I still plan to use it mostly with guitar.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 12:23 pm    

I built another board for some specific gigs and I picked this up on Reverb. I like it. It has pretty good headroom and stays pretty clean.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 5:48 pm    

MXR is coming out with a new one, shipping Nov 1:
Quote:
The MXR Deep Phase Pedal delivers uniquely expressive vintage phaser tones with the impeccable build quality and tweakabiity that MXR is famous for.

Unique vintage voice.
Based on an iconic vintage circuit, the sound of the Deep Phase Pedal is crystal clear with a pronounced swoosh, scooped midrange, and a dynamic, voice-like response to your attack. Whether you’re digging in for fat, fluid chords or gently evoking tranquil textured melodies, this pedal will adapt to your playing intensity. While the original suffered from a serious volume drop when engaged, the Deep Phase Pedal has been carefully designed to match your level when you kick the switch.

From smooth and subtle to turbulent and intense.
With just two knobs and a switch, the Deep Phase Pedal offers a wide range of phase tones, from subtle liquid shifting to thick, swirling turbulence. The Speed knob adjusts the effect rate, while the FDBK knob adjusts the intensity and sharpness of the phase peaks. By default, the Deep Phase Pedal runs on 4 phase shifter stages for a smooth effect. The Mode II switch doubles that to 8 stages for twice the number of peaks and a more animated texture.

Compact and reliably built.
The MXR Deep Phase Pedal comes in a road-ready MXR mini housing that will take up hardly any space on your pedalboard.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 7:00 am    

It seems Behringer are cloning the BiPhase and the price ($160) seems too good to be true.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2022 2:30 pm    

I have a TC Helix phaser, and it is very versatile because you can tone print a bunch of different phasers and store a few options. They have a 4 stage setting that is very phase 90 in tone if you plug into the Right channel output, but if you use the same setting out of the Left channel you get a 2 stage phase which is much more subtle like a phase 95. I like the 2 stage for the steel, but I use the 4 stage tone for my guitar, especially Waylon songs

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 8:27 am    

The Behringer Dual Phase sounds very close to the original Mutron Bi-Phase, at least in the Youtube videos. Got one on the way for $159 from Sweetwater. Crazy low price.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 11:43 am     Behringer Bi-Phase...errr Dual-Phase

Can't wait to get my hands on one and do a comparison with the original.

The new one seems to be made of unobtainium right now.

(pictures of the Behringer product)