The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Future of Pedal Steel
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 8:45 am    

Jim,
From your reply on this thread you imply that John Call is no longer with us ....is this the case ?
Regards Dave

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 9:01 am    

Floyd Lowery wrote:
I never hear it on my radio, but I have found some fantastic songs and arrangements using the steel guitar out of Texas. It is on the internet. Texas has some great steel players. There are some new artist and songs being recorded there.

Yep. There are plenty of current bands playing all over using steel. Just not on the radio which is an outdated form of media anyway. Between YouTube, streaming services, and Sirius XM I've not listened to FM radio in years. Most people my age don't let alone those that are younger. No one buys CD's either. Most places don't even sell CD's anymore.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 12:56 pm    

Okay guys, let's step back and look at the big picture like an owner of a record company or artist manager. How many of you guys over 40 have payed for and downloaded any digital song in the last month? How many in the last 12 months? I can remember when I was 12 years old and couldn't wait to buy the next Buck Owens record that came out. Okay how many of you all over 40 have purchased a concert ticket this month or anytime this last year? Maybe that will explain why record companies, producers, managers and promoters don't cater to old people. About 30 years old is where they draw the line unless they are in music just for fun and non-profit. If perhaps someday some teenagers make teenage girls go wild playing country music with a predominate pedal steel in the band then it will be all the rage again. One of ya'll can make that happen if you got 5 to 10 million dollars to invest in promotion. Want to take a chance? I can point you to some good young kids that can probably do the job. Music is for all to enjoy but the music "business" has always been produced and marketed for the young.
I've played my pedal steel in concert behind Kacey Musgraves and she is fairly young doing just what I described. I think she has like 7 Grammys now and dearly loved old country and pedal steel guitars. Another is Miranda Lambert. We all grew up playing and living only 20 miles apart in East Texas. They were singing Loretta Lynn when they were knee high to a grasshopper. An old friend of mine John Defore taught them how to play guitar and encouraged them to write songs. I've noticed a lot of old people dissing them saying "they ain't country". Actually they are but they have to start first by recording music that appeals to young people so they won't go broke. It's a different style of country but don't think for a minute those kids can't do traditional country. They were raised on it.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 1:58 pm    

Here's a pronouncement:

The future of pedal steel guitar rests largely with the number of players who choose to abandon the rigidity of "country" music (whatever that is) to play in other popular genres.

Disagree?

Take it up with my heirs in 20-30 years. Very Happy

h

p.s. You might also have an understanding of how a LOT of music is made and consumed in 2021.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 2:14 pm    

Dixie land jazz, contemporary jazz, soul, bluegrass, western swing, Italian opera, hillbilly rock, acid rock, etc. all had about a 20 year run at the top of the charts but slowly fell to a small but loyal cult following. I think the same happened to traditional country music. Nothing wrong with that. It will always have a following and there will always be steel guitar fans but probably not like a major rock star on a 6 string electric.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 7:16 pm    

Also something to note. The steel guitar groups on Facebook have a fair amount of young players.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 8:28 pm    

Dustin Rhodes wrote:
Also something to note. The steel guitar groups on Facebook have a fair amount of young players.

Same thing on Instagram. Lots of young, new pedal steel and non-pedal players. Every day I see new video clips, some beginners and some players that are very, very good. Some playing ambient background stuff and others playing classic steel solos of the greats. There out there, guys.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 6:03 am     I must plead guilty.

I also with out realizing it got away from the steel guitar sound and country singers would no longer use me. There must be many here old enough to recall when we did about any thing to quit sounding like a steel player or getting so deep into speed and big fat chords (stomp boxes) ect we lost the public interest and many would be beginners. I think any one should get the idea now. Tracy

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 11:43 am    

Howard Parker wrote:
Here's a pronouncement:

The future of pedal steel guitar rests largely with the number of players who choose to abandon the rigidity of "country" music (whatever that is) to play in other popular genres.

Howard, you took the words right out of my mouth!

As long as folks insist "steel guitar iff 'real country'" (whatever "real country" is), yes, the steel guitar is destined to peter out into a tiny niche. Even just taking this thread as an example, it seems like half us are talking about the future of the instrument and half are talking about the future of country music.

I guess I'm also guilty of not doing my part to bring it into mainstream, as my preferences lean towards jazz and classic rock (and don't play steel in either of those groups Laughing), but I would strongly encourage all of us to be excited when hearing steel, even in a genre we don't like. Heck, especially in a genre we don't like! That means it's moving up and out as far as I'm concerned.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 2:43 pm    

Dustin Rhodes wrote:

This is my observation as well. Many of those young players are not members here for a couple of reasons, but they are out there. I'm a member of Paul Franklin's private FB page for his students. There are a good number of younger players posting lesson progress videos there. They are actually doing their own renditions of some of the old classics.

__

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 3:42 pm    

In terms of stepping outside of country to advance the instrument, I think Luke Schneider knocked it out of the park with his album. It was released on Third Man, Jack Whites record label. So while I’m sure it’s not going platinum any time soon, at least the pedal steel is being promoted among a hipper audience.

https://lukeschneider.bandcamp.com/

He’s also got a Rig Rundown video on YouTube worth checking out.

https://youtu.be/99060jdxZ7Q

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 3:22 am    

Dustin Rhodes wrote:
I mean these acts all have followings. They're not on the radio but a huge portion of the listening public doesn't care.

https://youtu.be/r7QGDLeoh3E

https://youtu.be/6kACOojz9YQ

https://youtu.be/Z1pL0QGQNKQ

https://youtu.be/fGOKz37IAAE

https://youtu.be/n5eQEiEz-Nk

These are all great bands and steel players. I don't know what these people are talking about...you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a yound steel player

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 5:03 am    

As much as I love steel driven country if it wasn't for guys like Daniel Lanois, Greg Leisz, and Sneaky Pete I don't think I'd have pulled the trigger on getting a PSG. It was hearing how well steel works as a pad or soundscape mood instrument that did it for me.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 5:29 am    

I know lots of younger players, country is not their first music, they appreciate the heritage, look for older instruments (cheaper), and play pedal steel their way.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 2:13 pm    

To me... it's all about encouraging and finding younger players. My first lap steel was purchased when I was 12 and it was laughable how much it cost. Even when adjusted for inflation 58 years later. My first pedal steel was purchased in the 70's. Hard to find. Wasn't sure what I was looking at or if it even worked. Once I did purchase it. (I could have bought a nice used VW Bug) There were few around to help me learn it. I purchased a Neil Flanz LP Instructional method which I learned about in a magazine article in Montreal.
A younger player today has many advantages when it comes to learning about the Pedal Steel. The Forum, You Tube, lots of downloadable lessons, on line instruction. What most 16 year old kids DON'T have is the $1500 -$2000 for a minimal S10 rig. One can pick up a pretty decent guitar and amp combo for 200-300 to start learning with. He makes progress and moves on up. Nothing like that for a beginning steel player that I know of. I have had some success trying to get them to buy a lap steel to get the left and right hand techniques down until they can find a pedal steel. Only trouble with that is they quickly figure out that is not "the sound" they want to hear. Starting to change a bit with Larkin / Poe and Robert Randolph. Bruce Bouton and Jerry Douglas are starting to play some lap. Jerry was on tour with Travis Tritt for awhile and Bruce of course recorded lap stuff with Brooks and Dunn. Any exposure these days is good exposure.
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 3:15 pm    

I run into a number of younger players interested in the instrument. After I show them simple stuff - which is virtually 99% of what I can play anyway - they flip out over the potential in alternative, classic rock (many younger players are familiar with and/or play classic rock songs) various other rock styles, progressive acoustic stuff.

NONE of them are playing or ask about playing country. IMO pedal steel is a "musical" instrument. Not a "country" instrument. Not anymore.

And if new players are going to start playing, they need three things IMO:

1. Access to instruments that are both tuned and have parts named in a consistent manner, with sales people that have a clue. Music stores don't stock them - and they don't sell what they don't have...and don't understand. SOMEBODY has to get decent instruments in the stores...but not like typical steels -

2. Solidly built instruments with standardized 3+4 E9 copedents, TWO pickups (wound under 11k DC resistance for tonal reasons) and volume and tone controls and a pickups switch - something they understand from conventional guitars that allows them to tweak the sound. Made of wood. No one-tone, treble-voiced country guitars. And priced at $1000 street.

3. Basic instructional tab with audio files that covers basic chord positions and pentatonic licks presented in a "parallel to 6-string guitar playing" methodology. There are a few like this out there, but they are very brief. The idea is to be able to teach guitar players to think "pedal steel" in the same way they do 6 string. They don't play - and they've never heard - Red River Valley, Greensleeves, Great Speckled Bird and so on. Give them generic 3-4 chord progressions, and typical pentatonic and blues-based licks.

instruments HAVE to be in stores;made consistently; made like basic electric guitars e priced at $1k or less; and have generic light rock, alternative, blues and related styles presented in a way 6 stringers "get".
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2021 6:34 pm    

David Mitchell wrote:
Okay guys, let's step back and look at the big picture like an owner of a record company or artist manager. How many of you guys over 40 have payed for and downloaded any digital song in the last month? How many in the last 12 months? I can remember when I was 12 years old and couldn't wait to buy the next Buck Owens record that came out. Okay how many of you all over 40 have purchased a concert ticket this month or anytime this last year? Maybe that will explain why record companies, producers, managers and promoters don't cater to old people. About 30 years old is where they draw the line unless they are in music just for fun and non-profit. If perhaps someday some teenagers make teenage girls go wild playing country music with a predominate pedal steel in the band then it will be all the rage again. One of ya'll can make that happen if you got 5 to 10 million dollars to invest in promotion. Want to take a chance? I can point you to some good young kids that can probably do the job. Music is for all to enjoy but the music "business" has always been produced and marketed for the young.
I've played my pedal steel in concert behind Kacey Musgraves and she is fairly young doing just what I described. I think she has like 7 Grammys now and dearly loved old country and pedal steel guitars. Another is Miranda Lambert. We all grew up playing and living only 20 miles apart in East Texas. They were singing Loretta Lynn when they were knee high to a grasshopper. An old friend of mine John Defore taught them how to play guitar and encouraged them to write songs. I've noticed a lot of old people dissing them saying "they ain't country". Actually they are but they have to start first by recording music that appeals to young people so they won't go broke. It's a different style of country but don't think for a minute those kids can't do traditional country. They were raised on it.

My nomination for SGF post of the year award!!![/b]

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2021 1:00 am    

I don't think steel is going anywhere.

I'm 23 and have been playing since I was 14. I cut my teeth playing traditional country and that's what I truly love due to my family influences. (Strange looks when you're young and British).

Anyway, back when I was 17/18 I could probably count on one hand players my age but in recent years there are plenty of young steel players coming along and a lot have jumped into pro bands. They aren't just enthusiasts like I am. Some play Traditional and Bakersfield. Others play Rock, Pop, Americana, Country Pop and etc. You see them hanging round mostly on Instagram rather than Facebook or the SGF.

Pedal steel wasn't too prominent on British country records when I was 17/18. I got hired for a couple of overdubs after YouTube success but was fired from them.

I initially put it down to my ability but when I found out who my replacements were, a rock slide guitarist and a raw beginner multi instrumentalist who could only mash his A pedal on string 5...I soon decided it was my style. I was "too country".

Fast forward the clock from 2016 to 2021...this last year has been huge for me. I've done 40 overdubs in the space of a year, which might not be huge by pro Nashville standards, but for a semi pro unknown Brit it is. I've played on a range of everything and have got traditional sounding steel in. Country pop, British indie, country rock, Americana...most importantly, I've only ever been asked to pop up my style on the country pop stuff. Everything else I've played 100% like me which is traditional. Even on the country pop stuff, I've snuck some old school fills into the final cut here and there.

As mentioned the other day on the SGF, I am now playing my live trade with "The Burner Band" who are a really promising line up after some historic changes before my time. Pretty well known in Leeds and the British folk scene. Some big gigs coming and the crowds think I'm a mythical monster when they see me warming up my steel. They don't have a clue what it is being British but most audiences I've had the pleasure of playing to love it.
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Matthew Begay

Quantico, VA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 10:15 am    

I think the pedal steel is gaining some traction due to what I’ve seen in social media today. If I’m being honest, not a whole lot of people 30 and under prefer facebook or websites like this anymore. I actually found this website looking for one to buy my very first steel guitar after hearing albums from Tracy Byrd, Garth Brooks, George Strait, and other 90’s country artists in general. I’ve happened to gain over 36k followers on the TikTok app with people asking me for lessons, how to get started, requests, etc.

I will say that the majority of people I’ve spoken with are driven away from steels due to the high price of one. I almost opted to settle for an electric guitar after seeing that a decent steel was +$800 and the same could be said for any amps & accessories. After playing for a little over 6 years I’m just now able to afford a decent steel amp and was able to start recording tracks.

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 10:47 am    

Matthew Begay wrote:
I think the pedal steel is gaining some traction due to what I’ve seen in social media today. If I’m being honest, not a whole lot of people 30 and under prefer facebook or websites like this anymore. I actually found this website looking for one to buy my very first steel guitar after hearing albums from Tracy Byrd, Garth Brooks, George Strait, and other 90’s country artists in general. I’ve happened to gain over 36k followers on the TikTok app with people asking me for lessons, how to get started, requests, etc.

I will say that the majority of people I’ve spoken with are driven away from steels due to the high price of one. I almost opted to settle for an electric guitar after seeing that a decent steel was +$800 and the same could be said for any amps & accessories. After playing for a little over 6 years I’m just now able to afford a decent steel amp and was able to start recording tracks.

Your TikTok is epic man, you've become a real ambassador for the instrument with the younger generation.
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Matthew Begay

Quantico, VA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 2:24 pm    

Thank you Steven, I appreciate it! All us younger dudes can do is try! You’ve got some amazing vids and great tone too.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 6:39 pm    

….rests in the hands of those adding to the conversation and building new sounds and techniques. Not those complaining that they don’t get to cut loose on enough 4/4 shuffles in the bands they play in.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 6:58 pm    

steel is here to stay. it's an incredibly versatile and evocative musical instrument that has been used in almost every genre of music by now. all the great players have shown what steel guitar is capable of and it's a sound most people fall in love with.

it will always be a niche instrument: arcane, complicated, and expensive. but there will always be more than enough people playing steel for at least the next several millenia if civilization can last that long

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 4:47 am    

Gary Newcomb wrote:
….rests in the hands of those adding to the conversation and building new sounds and techniques. Not those complaining that they don’t get to cut loose on enough 4/4 shuffles in the bands they play in.

I think I'd rather "cut loose on a 4/4 shuffle" than have a conversation about it.....

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 6:25 am    

There is a lot of stuff out there that the mainstream ignores that is very popular, such as Tyler Childers (just got his second platinum record and is playing two sold out shows at Red Rocks in Denver later this month-that’s 18,000+ tickets) and Cody Jinks (who just got his first platinum record). These guys are outselling folks who have way more airplay and mainstream visibility. There’s plenty of young guys playing music with country roots, you just have to look a bit for it.