The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Future of Pedal Steel
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 6:06 am    

Hold your fire! I love steel guitars of all types. I own a Mullen G2 and play it often at home. I have regularly attended the Dallas show and several times at St. Louis. What is obvious is that a majority of steel players are getting up in the years, as I am at 83. I don't listen much to the new country music and I love the classic sound. I remember the song, "Who's Going To Take Their Place" about aging country artists. Same question on steel players who have passed on and the list grows each year. Now, getting to my question is this: has the steel artists not followed up and merged with pop music and the new country. Are bands not using a steel player? George Strait comes to mind and I am not going to try to list them. But I do wonder about the future of the instrument.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 6:51 am    

To me I think steel should look to what bluegrass has done. No one would say that bluegrass is "mainstream" as in what is current bit it has a huge following across age groups and seems to have a very successful system of bringing new people into the fold.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 7:03 am    

Seems to me the PSG's role in pop country music has not gone away completely but rather changed, god or bad.
It has become more atmospheric perhaps rather than melodic.
I wonder about the evolution of country music and PSG. PSG has its identifiable eras. I'm of that PSG generation that embraced its' transition into country rock. In fact most of my heroes are guys like Rusty Young, Pete Kleinow, John Call, Buddy Cage, and Bobby Black. Of those mentioned only Bobby Black is still alive as you know.
I joined a band of younger folk half my age lately. A couple of the female members have incredible voices. One was raised down south but comes here to VT in the summer. Its' as if she was raised in home with vinyl records from the 50s and 60s only. We are doing material like Lorreta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, etc, and by golly a younger crowd appears to like it. And now, all of a sudden, I'm having to learn a bunch of classic PSG intros from the 60s, and loving it. All those guys are certainly dead.
Dustin, to your comment maybe pop country will cycle around like bluegrass.

Jeremy King

Rochelle, GA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 7:03 am    

I think the instrument is alive and well. I'm 26 years old and have only been playing for 3 years but I immediately started doing session and live work upon receiving my first steel. Of course, this means that I was just starting to learn the basics and playing in professional situations at the same time so I often cringe when I hear my playing from a few years back. But overall, I feel like picking up the steel was the best career move I've made as a musician. I'm around Macon, Georgia (which has a strong musical history) but there aren't a lot of active players here, especially on the younger side of the scene. I record my fair share of Gospel and modern country but the folks who tend to want steel on their songs around here are the Americana artists.

I am blessed to stay as busy as I do and I am grateful for this community that has taught me so much.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 7:16 am    

I think the future of steel guitar is much like the future of live music in general; it's becoming a cultural artifact, much like steam locomotives and 1956 T-Birds and I'm certain there'll always be a few steel players and builders, just as there are a few blacksmiths and carriage builders today.

Just had a sobering thought: We're now closer to the Beatles' centennial than we are to their Sullivan-show debut! Whoa!

Last edited by Dave Hopping on 12 Aug 2021 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 7:17 am     Psg

Willie also comes to mind. There is only one Willie Nelson, but classic country in Nashville didn't fit his mold, so he moved back to Texas and you know " the rest of the story".
Willie didn't follow a trend, he created one doing all kinds of music, like Angel Flying too Close To The Ground, Stardust, etc. But, unfortunately he hardly ever used a steel in his band. I am not suggesting we be like Willie; no one can. But, do venture out of your comfort zone.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 9:23 am    

Willy did have the Jimmy Day era. I know he toured with him anyway.

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 9:31 am    

Here in Toronto steel guitar is virtually unknown to most people I would say, including many musicians and people who regularly watch live music. The few times that I have seen anyone play steel around here, it seems that audiences absolutely love it! There is a big opportunity to anyone who would want to play honky tonk or western swing type stuff as well. There aren't any bands around here that I am aware of, that play that stuff 'well' really. There are a few amazing steel players and there is a small bluegrass scene in Toronto with some amazing players and there is a very active jazz scene as well. So lots of talented players who might be interested in branching out and the ingredients for there to be more opportunities to get gigs for steel players and to get audiences to hear steel.

The first time I went to Nashville and heard steel guitar played at the highest level I was blown away and thought it was sad that so many people do not even get exposed to it. Not to mention all of the improvising and band interplay that happens in a good honky tonk band.

Getting steel on the airwaves, is difficult I guess, but getting it into a local/live music environment is as simple as getting out there and playing! I guess the hard part is getting good enough to play out on steel. Speaking for myself, I am not quite there yet... Very Happy

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 10:04 am    

You asking about steel guitar and it's relation to country music?

If so..It is what it is.

Asking about steel guitar in Americana, folk, roots rock and just the "world of popular music".

I'd say that I'm busier than a beaver, if that's any indication. I continue to be shocked at inquiries.

I hope no one figures out how mediocre my chops really are.

I just put myself "out there" and made myself available.

In my region. It's the "indi" scene.

ymmv

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 11:29 am    

I don't know that you can judge anything about it by the forum. This is only a small portion of steel players around the world, and it's mostly the elder gen here too.

I see steel guitar a lot on the tv shows. There's a bunch of roots type music and programs where it's in prominent use.

Oddly, the very basic techniques and pedal bends of some of the almost amateurish players seem to be the staples of many of the roots or americana offerings.

I don't know that the general populace even appreciates the intricate stylings and terrific renderings like we as players do.

I think it's too neat and unique a sound to ever go away. There'll always be people playing it and you just have to accept that it's not always going to be in the traditional country fashion nor should it have to be.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 1:38 pm     Re: Future of Pedal Steel

Jim Saunders wrote:
Hold your fire!

Indeed. Is this thread about the pedal steel guitar or country music? They are connected historically but they're not the same thing. Our band plays no country music at all but the steel is still an integral part of the sound.

Traditional E9 playing grew out of a particular musical culture but a universal steel, sometimes with a conventional tone, or using effects to masquerade as a Fender Rhodes or a Hammond, is a musical tool of great power for rock, soul and reggae.

I've turned 70 now, but the future looks bright Smile

Walter Webb

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 2:00 pm    

Accordions were supposedly left for dead years ago, but they are cooler than cool now. Everything that goes around comes around.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 3:22 pm    

Amen…Ian Rae

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 4:18 pm    

Walter Webb wrote:
Accordions were supposedly left for dead years ago, but they are cooler than cool now. Everything that goes around comes around.

But...they got simpler. (Well, actually, the simpler versions of them regained popularity)

Such is not the case with pedal steel...yet. Winking

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 6:34 pm    

Its not dead but certainly not common in certain areas. But its availability can be limited. For example in this current time with setbacks due to covid-19 many companies had issue sourcing material. I ordered a steel last year and was told 8 months. That was last June and I still dont have it. I am very into pedal steel and kinda understand their setbacks but anyone ordering a new steel might be seriously put off by that. New steels in general arent an overnight order item (as with many instruments I realize) but our world does have some quirks like that, of course we get it but someone not that familiar yet might not understand. Go to any music store and ask for pedal steel strings......90 percent just dont carry that.

that being said Its very much alive but I have my doubts it will ever reach an audience as big as guitars/ pianos and such have found.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 7:31 pm    

Interesting thread. There are some young players doing great things with the instrument.

Here's Rich Hinman playing a nice JJ Cale style instrumental with Vulffpeck recently...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCYTR3wReXc

And here's Will Van Horn playing some haunting C6 in his trio setting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrLXBIc6F8E&list=OLAK5uy_lgiP3t9d48vojsVw1y1WkTu2zDpXnHq6A

What I like about players like this is that their sound is deeply rooted in classic steel playing, but they are forward thinking in their approach at the same time.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 4:10 am    

First Aid Kit seems to have alot of pedal steel. They're not on the bleeding edge of pop, but still. I mostly find that younger people love the pedal steel. Most of them that I play to don't have a deep knowledge of country music (and I'm in New England), so they don't usually bring that association to the instrument. Susan Alcorn is one of the well-known players up here.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 12:22 pm    

My take is that the steel has not become unpopular. The problem is that styles like classic country or no longer popular on a larger scale.

A lot of this is due to the fact the power structure in in Nashville has become grossly concentrated and corrupt. Play lists are now standardized and squelch anything that sounds genuinely country.

If a few people can decide what is available to listen to that turns out to be very profitable for those at the top.

The music industry is a rigged market just as is healthcare, banking, insurance and big tech.

So far, folks don't mind.That presents a problem for the few who do care.

Large markets in the U.S.are structured in the United States in ways where producers decide what people buy and what is available.

This is the opposite of the way economic decisions are made in a free market setting. Leave the free market and there is less available, prices are higher and most money flows to the top.

As long as the music industry is rigged, folks are not going to hear a lot of steel in songs.

If what people heard on the radio was based on personal tastes and preferences, older artists would be heard regularly. Basically, the steel is not allowed to be popular. Your betters decide what is on the radio. They don't hate the steel. There are just new sounds that people can be herded into listening to and this is where the profit is.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 1:05 pm    

But I think the whole Indie movement has left plenty of room for the steel. Being able to record and release from your bedroom or wherever has changed the scene of music. I've done steel tracks for people I'll probably never meet, recording in my basement and shipping out tracks via dropbox.

There's still demand, and I think that in today's environment, traditional commercial venues have been marginalized to some degree. There's a demand for Americana music, and most of that is coming from Indies the best I can tell.

It may be an underground thing, but the demand for steel is still there. But there's still no money in it....

Dave

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 1:30 pm    

I mean these acts all have followings. They're not on the radio but a huge portion of the listening public doesn't care.

https://youtu.be/r7QGDLeoh3E

https://youtu.be/6kACOojz9YQ

https://youtu.be/Z1pL0QGQNKQ

https://youtu.be/fGOKz37IAAE

https://youtu.be/n5eQEiEz-Nk

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 1:50 pm    

True, but the major market is closed. In a world with over 7 billion people in it masses of folks who follow independents is not drop in in the bucket.

It takes ordinary people as listeners to make an instrument popular. One of the instruments I play is the English concertina. there are enthusiasts all over the globe who appreciate the instrument.

Yes, there are niche audiences who like the classic sound, but that is far less than what we would have in a free and open music market.

David Ball wrote:
But I think the whole Indie m
ovement has left plenty of room for the steel. Being able to record and release from your bedroom or wherever has changed the scene of music. I've done steel tracks for people I'll probably never meet, recording in my basement and shipping out tracks via dropbox.

There's still demand, and I think that in today's environment, traditional commercial venues have been marginalized to some degree. There's a demand for Americana music, and most of that is coming from Indies the best I can tell.

It may be an underground thing, but the demand for steel is still there. But there's still no money in it....

Dave

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 6:37 am    

I think James Quillian nailed it in his first post. The Producer's call the shots, what you sing, how you sing it. There is no classic country sound being recorded out of Nashville today. If it does it never gets promoted. Then you got the young teenagers who get drop off at the Mall by Mom and a pocket full money and guess what kind of CD's they buy. That is the ones the producers cater too. It is all about money. Their is only a small amount of young folks who like the steel, pedals or not. And then they get made fun of by their peers, you like that old hillbilly junk they say. Eddie Dunlap is one of the few that truly loves pure country music and is a fine young man. Their are a few others out their but I cannot remember their names. For the most part old timers like me when we are gone so will pure country music. J.R. Rose

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 8:23 am    

I never hear it on my radio, but I have found some fantastic songs and arrangements using the steel guitar out of Texas. It is on the internet. Texas has some great steel players. There are some new artist and songs being recorded there.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 8:29 am    

Thanks JR, it is rare that anyone ever agrees with me on much of anything.

I will go on to say that it seems, the young artists in today's rigged music market are forced to take lessons in how to sound country. These folks sound more country than than those of years ago did, albeit phony.

I don't see that the classic sound was ever actually abandoned. It is more that it has been taken away from folks who appreciate it and would expand on it.

J R Rose wrote:
I think James Quillian nailed it in his first post. The Producer's call the shots, what you sing, how you sing it. There is no classic country sound being recorded out of Nashville today. If it does it never gets promoted. Then you got the young teenagers who get drop off at the Mall by Mom and a pocket full money and guess what kind of CD's they buy. That is the ones the producers cater too. It is all about money. Their is only a small amount of young folks who like the steel, pedals or not. And then they get made fun of by their peers, you like that old hillbilly junk they say. Eddie Dunlap is one of the few that truly loves pure country music and is a fine young man. Their are a few others out their but I cannot remember their names. For the most part old timers like me when we are gone so will pure country music. J.R. Rose

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 8:41 am    

This thread reminds me of what happened last night! I was setting up at a venue here in western Mass, and the sound man came up to me and said "Wow, a pedal steel. We don't see many of these anymore. It's kind of a dying thing." Oh Well