The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Lonnie Portwood
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 5:46 am    

I just received word from Lonnie's brother, Glenn, that Lonnie passed away last night at 11:15PM in Jacksonville, FL.
Lonnie and his wife Johnnie were both in the hospital with Covid.

Lonnie was not only one the greatest supporters of steel guitar, he was a great player himself, but he would never let you know that.

Lonnie was always on guitar in the side rooms at the ISGC and other shows. And he even produced his own show in Jacksonville called the Jax Jam, for many years.

You will be missed by many my friend.

Please pray for Johnnie to get well soon.

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 6:59 am    

Aw; just breaks my Heart. and Bless your Heart Johnnie; please get well, I'm praying for you.
Lonnie; you were a memorable person and musician in so many ways; your Musical Spirit will continue through us ALL. Here's a whole show we did together that I still feel your inspiration inside me, every time I play. RIP Lonnie>
Lonnie plays the most tasteful solo I ever heard 0:50>
https://youtu.be/w0PqbwYEoJ0
Ricky

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 8:01 am    

Yep Ricky,
He was a goodun.

Wow, this show seems like so long ago. Whew
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 8:10 am     My friend

Linda and I are in shock today. Lonnie was such a dear friend. I was blessed to have known him. I played at quite a few of the shows in Jacksonville with him. Fixed many an amp fit my dear friend as well. Just one of the greats ones

My heart is broken today

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 9:07 am    

Tragic news. First Chet Gibson and now Lonnie. Both were at Lonnie's recent birthday party.

Lonnie has been a friend for many years. Let me pick at one of the Fulawka jams at the ISGC. Was in the backup band the last time I picked at a Heywood Henson steel show in Winter Haven Florida.

RIP friend.

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 12:01 pm     Lonnie

So sorry to hear RIP he was so nice at Heywoods Conventions. A real gentleman.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 1:34 pm    

Very sad news. Lonnie was very generous to me when I first arrived to the area. He was a fine musician and a real gentleman. Sympathies to the family and a speedy and complete recovery for Mrs. Portwood.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 7:11 pm    

Very sad news. Lonnie has been a friend for many years. Our sincere condolences to his family. Rest in peace dear friend and go be with Our Precious Lord.
....Roy and Barbara

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 10:38 am    

Very sad news and a bitter reminder of this lousy covid deadly disease. Lonnie was a fine musician and supporter of the steel guitar. This tragedy is taking our friends and family at an alarming pace. RIP Lonnie and my deepest sympathy for the family and friends. I pray for Johnnie to recover quickly.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 12:08 pm    

Lonnie would show up at several of our Florida Steel Guitar Shows. A great musician and friend.
Rest in peace.
Don

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 6:56 am    

I always enjoyed playing bass behind Lonnie in the Fulawka room in St Louis. I was actually on bass in the Ricky Davis youtube video above. RIP Lonnie

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2021 10:53 am    

What a jolt this is for me. Thanks for posting, Bill. I felt like I knew Lonnie, saw him a several Steel shows, mostly in Florida; altho I never was personally acquainted for him. Very sad, a solid part of the steel guitar community.
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2021 3:45 am    

This is a tough pill to swallow here! I just spoke with him in July about a steel and a Aria LP style guitar. Great guy and very knowledgeable of music.