The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Maintenace
William Smith

Manhattan, Kansas
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 9:27 am    

Hello, I am new to the Forum. I am also new to PSG. I tried playing earlier in life but my focus strayed toward other instruments (fiddle and guitar). This time I think I can devote the proper amount of energy to such an endeavor.

I just purchased a nice D-10 because the Western Swing/Jazz C6 stuff is more my interest. I want this instrument to last and to play properly for as long as possible.

I have noticed that the folks on this forum are quite knowledgeable and friendly, so I thought I would post this in an attempt to gather some knowledge:

1. What sort of regular maintenance goes is to keeping a PSG in top performance condition?

2. What are the parts that wear out first, generally? For those parts, what mitigation efforts, if any, can be performed?

3. If a particular part is no longer serviceable, and the part is not readily available from the manufacturer, then what resources exist to obtain fabricated replacement parts?

I have already got some very good information on some of these questions from Forum members, but I would like to hear what others says to add to this. I also believe that others may find this useful.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 5:37 pm    

It would help if you posted what make steel you have. There is plenty of information already posted on maintenance if you do a search. Manufacturers that are no longer in business makes parts availability difficult. A few outside machinist make parts for a few models. A Google search will reveal a couple. All moving parts will wear in time. Some require lubrication and some are permanently lubed. It varies by maker.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2021 5:51 pm    

Mickey Adams has a DVD on maintenance. He is a forum member. His email jetdrivr@me.com

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 12:23 pm    

I'll take a stab at it.

Every time I change strings:
1. Remove the roller nuts/axle clean and lubricate. (Careful they are graduated and should go back in the same order.)
2. Clean the surfaces especially those hard to get to with strings on.
3. Check Knee lever mounting hardware for looseness and tighten if necessary.
4. Check for changer finger burrs and burnish if necessary. Lube a little from the top.

Once a year:
I may swap pedals in the 1/2/3 position with pedals less used.

Every 10 years:
Completely disassemble, clean and reassemble.

What wears depends alot on the guitar.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 7:29 pm    

I have a GFI, for about 3 &1/2 years. I play it average of a couple hours every day.

I believe the manual says it should not need regular lubrication (but not positive).

I've never done anything to it and it plays just the same-just my own experience.

Jon

William Smith

Manhattan, Kansas
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 6:48 am     PSG Maintenance

Thank you for the responses. I have a Mullen HWP I am expecting to arrive soon. I am looking forward to it's arrival, for sure.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 8:33 am    

Grooves develop in the tops of the changer fingers from string wear and tear. This can cause an unpleasant “sitar zing” in the sound of the plain strings 1 through 5. Learning how to sand out those grooves without flattening the tops of the fingers is a good trick. Somebody really needs to invent a tool for that job.

I check for this every time I change strings, or if I notice it while playing. If you have a steel guitar without this problem, congratulations. I have read that lubing the tops of the fingers can prevent it, tried it, doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 10:29 am    

Jon, you have that right. My new GFI SD10 3x5 says no lubrication needed. To address Freds post, some pedal steels do that and others not so much. My Mullen D10 has never needed sanded and it was new in 94, so I've had it a long time. Pre-RP model. Plus I have never done a tear down and super clean on the changer. Just a light oil and clean the rollers.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 8:10 pm    

Godo choice, the pre RP's. Probably there will be some number of adjustments to fit the levers/pedals and maybe some coped changes when you get it but minimal maintenance besides changing strings.

Here's the manual and you can email the Mullen crew at the email on their website and get quick answers to all your questions. And you can hopefully find an experienced player local to you thru the members list to give it the once over and get an expert opinion.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/members.php

https://mullenguitars.com/owners-manual