The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Building a kit
Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 11:41 am    

Let’s just say I was going to buy a Hudson Champ 2 pickup kit …. https://hudsonsteelguitars.com/shop/ols/products/champ-style-lap-steel-guitar-kit-deluxe-6-double-pickup

Would wiring the pickups in series rather than parallel make it sound more like my Rickenbacker lap, but without the hum? Looking to make a performance friendly instrument.

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

Liam Tyner

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 12:23 pm    

If you wire in a blend pot you can turn both pickups all the way on and you get the humbucker sound but still have the option of dialing in the thinner single coil sound.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 12:46 pm    

I acquired a junker Ultratone body and installed a pair of Sentell Stringmaster-style single-coil pickups:

I wired it according to the Seymour Duncan diagram:

As Liam stated, with the blend control full-on, both pickups are in a humbucking mode, and it's almost as quiet as a church mouse peeing on a cottonball. Not much of a looker, but it's a great-sounding instrument. Doesn't sound much like my Bakelite Ric, though. At least not to my ears.

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 1:15 pm    

"with the blend control full-on, both pickups are in a humbucking mode"

Make sure the pickups are reverse wound, reverse polarity. Otherwise they are just in series, not Humbucking.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 2:33 pm    

Harry Sheppard wrote:
Make sure the pickups are reverse wound, reverse polarity. Otherwise they are just in series, not Humbucking.

That's an important point. Mr. Sentell will in fact, wind his Stringmaster pairs reverse polarity by request.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 12:55 pm    

I don't know if you can do it on that kit, but I just finished making a lap steel and used a 3 pole, 4 position switch to connect my two pickups. Maybe that might work for you if you want to try both pickups in different configs. I can tell you that wired in series, they sound way better than wired in parallel. https://youtu.be/_4wT47G_hi0

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2021 9:14 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I acquired a junker Ultratone body and installed a pair of Sentell Stringmaster-style single-coil pickups:

I wired it according to the Seymour Duncan diagram:

As Liam stated, with the blend control full-on, both pickups are in a humbucking mode, and it's almost as quiet as a church mouse peeing on a cottonball. Not much of a looker, but it's a great-sounding instrument. Doesn't sound much like my Bakelite Ric, though. At least not to my ears.

Love your choice of words Jack!