The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Moyo Volume Pedal
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2021 3:17 pm    

Fits in the case or your pack seat too! I have two.... can't say enough good about them
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2021 5:42 am    

I've finally had a chance to try out my new Moyo volume pedal. I love it. It feels good under my foot, and the action feels great. Once you discover the sweet spot for where your foot should rest, it's all good. It goes from full off to full on. Built to last, and is heavy duty, while being light. The tuner out jack is a nice plus. There's nothing not to like. I'm glad I bought this little volume pedal.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2021 4:52 pm    

Hey Ken that's great news. I may try one soon.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2021 4:55 pm    

These rugged little pedals don't take up much real estate either -

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 4:55 am    

I haven't see any with a bracket for the pedal bar. Any thoughts on that? My Goodrich will slowly migrate to the pedal bar and end up against the wing nut without a bracket. The Moyo has no bottom screws to use. It would require a drill and tap operation. Or something that went from front to rear.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 5:27 am    

I just bought one of these a couple of weeks ago thanks to this thread. It's a nice little pedal very handy, but...

If it were mounted to a pedal bar the short length would put the pedal at too steep of an angle. _IMHO

Ed

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 7:16 am    

To use this with a pedal bar bracket would require drill/tap for a couple of screws, and a proper length of sheet metal the width of the Moyo pedal. It would be quite easy to do if you have a set of taps, and access to a piece of sheet aluminum. I have a good pedal bar bracket I bought from Tom Bradshaw recently, so all I need is a set of small taps and small piece of sheet metal 2" wide and about 6" long. I may do it once I find the metal. Also - The Moyo has anti-slip materials on the bottom. I'm presently using this on carpet, and it doesn't slide anywhere. I still want a bracket fix though.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 10:39 am    

Ken, same here. Thin sheet metal or aluminum is easy enough to bend in a vice. I have the taps and drills to do that. I need the bracket to keep it from walking. Same for the Goodrich or Ernie Ball pedals. I have fabricated both aluminum and sheet metal brackets for those.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 2:24 pm    

All I need is a piece of sheet metal - aluminum. I don't need a big piece of it either. Kind of a triangular shape, like about 3 1/2" wide on one end, and 2" wide on the other, and about 4" long. Shouldn't cost much, but I don't know where to find it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 6:26 pm    

Ken, I believe Amazon has metal listed. Also plenty of other places online. The big box building supply like Lowes and Home Depot has some metals in small sheets. Regular steel is easier to come by. I made this out of aluminum for a Goodrich pedal. Similar to the forum member that used this style. I got the strips at Lowes and bent in my vice. Used velcro as a pad to protect pedal bar.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 6:45 pm     Try this link

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Metals-257-Aluminum-Thickness/dp/B004AFAZNS/ref=sr_1_10?crid=10TB904OFL39I&dchild=1&keywords=aluminum+sheet+metal&qid=1630463863&sprefix=Aluminum+sh%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-10

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 3:46 am    

Thanks, Larry. I never thought of trying Amazon for metal. Ill try Lowes first. The straps like you used will probably be the easiest to deal with. Fun project.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 7:00 am    

Yes I agree. The straps are about 1/16 thick and 1 inch or more wide. I used 2 rivets to join the pair then flattened them with a blunt punch, or 2nd hammer. Plenty sturdy and durable. I used a regular Goodrich bracket as a guide. Is the face of the moyo thick enough to drill and tap? If so you could skip the lower bend. Good luck.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 7:56 am    

I found this 2" x 3' x 1/8" bar at Lowe's. I'm thinking it will work. 1/8' will still bend, if needed. Actually, I could just use about a 6" piece of the bar and attach it to the pedal bar bracket I already have. That would work, and probably give more lateral stability to the setup. The thinner sheets you referenced in the prior link would probably be OK too. I'll look at it in the store and check it for flexion. We have a large and very well equipped hobby shop here where I live, with every tool imaginable, so I can get it done.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-ft-x-2-in-Aluminum-Solid/3053609

The pedal appears to have sufficient area to drill and tap for small screws. It is made of substantial extrusion. I think it would be possible to mount the bracket extension using a couple of stainless steel sheet metal or self tapping screws.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 12:43 pm    

My sheet metal bracket for a Goodrich pedal. I sprayed it black. Not the best paint job with a rattle can.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 12:58 pm    

Nice bracket, and no doubt a money saver. I'm going by the local Lowe's store in about 30 minutes, and I'll see what I can find there. A friend of mine has some taps too, if needed. I may be able to finish the project using pop-rivets, stainless steel sheet metal screws, and/or machine screws. .

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 2:53 pm    

Ken Thanks. I have at least 4 Goodrich brackets so its was time to make my own. I'm sure you will find what you need there and come up with a plan.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 4:14 pm    

I couldn't find any 2" wide strap, so I bought 3'x1'x1/6". Turns out the 1/16" is better than I thought, so I got it. 3' will give me plenty to play with. I've got a couple of designs in mind.

So far, the non-slip material on the bottom of the Moyo keeps the pedal in one spot - on carpet. That may change on a hard surface, but it might not. The bracket will see to it that it stays still.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2021 6:14 pm    

👍

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2021 1:55 pm    

I finished up my volume pedal/pedal bar bracket project today. Turned out quite nice. I used 2 - 1/16'x1" aluminum strips I bought at Lowe's, cut to 6 1/2" long. I measured ahead of time while using the pedal, and the 6 1/2" set back provides plenty of clearance for the toe of my shoe. I drilled and tapped 2 holes under the Moyo pedal, to accept 10/32 machine screws. You have to be VERY careful when drilling and tapping due to the location of the volume pot. I used a drill press and got it done right. The tapped holes are 1/2" from the front of the pedal, and 1/2" from the sides. The 1" wide aluminum strips attach to the standard volume pedal bracket.

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 11 Sep 2021 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2021 2:17 pm    

Mission accomplished. Looking good Ken. Careful planning and materials yields to human ingenuity.

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 2:13 pm    

wow! nice job, Ken

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2021 2:22 pm    

Thanks a lot Glenn. My compliments to you on a great product. I'm really liking this pedal.

Tyler Gibson

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 10:39 am     Moyo Volume Pedal

Mine arrived this morning, I absolutely love it. I needed to adjust my foot position after being used to the Lehle, but the feel and finish of the Moyo is flawless. Really looking forward to getting a lot of use out of it. Just a wonderful pedal.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 11:49 am    

Well, after looking at alternatives and reading this thread, I just ordered my Moyo VP. It ended up between that and a Dunlop, but I'd rather support a forum member and small businessman. Plus after %$##@& around changing the cords on an %^&&$* Ernie Ball VP Jr. (it's for sale cheap if anyone's interested), I just want a high quality pedal I can count on. Looking forward to getting it.
P.S. The EB has a Dunlop Hot Potz-II and lifetime cords. I'd almost consider keeping it if I wasn't so PO'd at it! Make me an offer.