The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chet Gibson
John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 4:54 am    

With a heavy heart, I report the passing of Chet Gibson. Chet was in the hospital, apparently having contracted Covid 19.

He was a friend to a great many people, and we will miss him.

R.I.P Chet

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 5:29 am    

I am so sorry to hear this. Chet was a great friend who always had a compliment.

I remember several (and I mean several), we were at the Jax show and I had an electronic device (don't remember what) that I did not need and I gave it to Chet. He said "how much" and I said zero.

He was so humbled that I would just outright give him something and he never forgot it.

I know Chet has been very sick for many years. The last time I talked to him, I could hardly understand him.

I hope it was not Covid, but if it was, I know that his time to go home to the Lord was near regardless.

Thanks for posting John.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 5:43 am    

Sad news indeed. I was impressed by Chets playing at St Louis ISGC in the jam rooms. I understand he had played at a private birthday party recently. I hope that wasn't the connection to covid19. My prayers for his family and friends. Rip Chet.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 6:09 am    

Sad news. I just saw a picture of him at Lonnie Portwoods recent birthday party. I've met and heard him pick at St Louis and a couple venues here in Florida including Catfish Johnny's and the Heywood Henson steel shows.

But COVID can hit fast. My brother contacted it and within a week he was gone.

RIP, Chet.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 6:17 am    

I will miss my old friend. A great musician snd just loved the music.
I first saw Chet in the very early 70’s. He was playing with Moe Bandy at the Vidallia High School auditorium in Georgia. I was with the front band headed by my dear friend Willy Carver

Then I finally met Chet at the Jacksonville Steel Shows that our friend Lonnie Portwood put together. We had some great times picking there

My condolences to his family

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 7:04 am    

Truly sad news. Chet was a great man. got to know him when he was in the Fulawka room in St. Louis. R.I.P. Chet. Thoughts and prayers for all the family

Thoughts also to our friend Lonnie who just had Chet over to house. God Bless All.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 7:10 pm    

I'm so very sorry to hear about Chet's passing. I met him many years ago at St. Louis in the Fulawka room. He was such a good Steel player with a great personality. I know Chet suffered with many health problems over the years. But now he's out of pain and can join that heavenly steel jam in the sky.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2021 7:25 pm    

Very sad news. Chet was a good friend and will be missed. Rest in peace dear friend and go be with our Precious Lord.
...Roy and Barbara

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2021 2:01 pm     Chet Gibson

Always to be remember. What a truly great person he was. RIP

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 5:57 am    

"Sad news. I just saw a picture of him at Lonnie Portwoods "

According to Larry Mangum's facebook post, 7 people who attended the birthday party got covid, including Lonnie and his wife who are now hospitalized and were not vaccinated.

Please don't wait for tragedy before getting the jab. https://www.facebook.com/larry.mangum.9

"10 days ago I attended a wonderful 80th birthday party for a dear friend. Today I found out he and his wife are in Mayo with COVID. They are not vaccinated. Also there were at least 5 other cases, some vaccinated, some not, with the vaccinated mostly ok after about 3 days. Fortunately, some of us (vaccinated) have had no symptoms. If you are eligible and your health or situation permits, please, please get vaccinated."

Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2021 1:43 pm    

This is so sad.. Now two of my favorite people at the Steel Guitar Shows in Fla. have passed.. I hope they realized how much they were loved and respected, not just for their talent, but for the kind of men they were.. Rest in Peace, Chet and Lonnie..