The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  playing as meditation, and earworms
Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 5:49 am    

My backstory is that i have a lot of nerve damage in my left hand and I can't actually play much any longer. I can't physically hold the steel for long without cramping and pain, and ditto I can't play fretted guitar for more than a few minutes. So in my mind I'm still a musician, in my hands less so.

Anyway, I tuned up a lap steel in Dobro G, to see what happened. I tried to play some tunes, but they all turned into Star Spangled Banner, which is a fine tune and very easy to play in that tuning, but weird that it kept coming out when I was playing but not thinking, in Zen mode. So I retuned back to my normal, which I call Em7/G, and is L-H EGDGBD. I play a I/VI/IV/V chord change, which lays down really easy in that tuning (if you play a minor IV chord) as C-Am-Fm-G, and boom, all I can play for the next 10 minutes is variations on "Sleepwalk", which is fine, but man, what an earworm! I thought this was kind of funny, is all... Not really thinking, just Zen-playing, and everything is "Sleepwalk". Sleep-walking through Sleepwalk, so to speak. That's it, that's the post... Smile

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 7:26 am    

It’s nice to hear that despite physical barriers, you are still able get pleasure from playing. Making music is a special kind of joy.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 8:26 am    

I believe that music is a gift from God, and it has healing medical, and emotional power. Imagine a world without music!

I and millions of others (musicians and/or just listeners) receive great joy from music every day... especially steel guitar music.

I perform several times a week at Senior care centers, and I have many beautiful stories I could tell but space here is limited and I don't want to hijack this thread.

Let me just share that I sing and play oldies and Gospel hymns for Dementia and memory care patients, and though they can't remember names or places they recall all the lyrics to favorite songs and sing along with me. "Earworms?"

Very Happy Dom Franco

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 10:30 am    

Dom, I’ve watched, and enjoyed many of your tunes on YouTube and think that your sessions for the seniors are great.
Keep up the great work, we all have old age coming!
Keith.