The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Extended C6 tuning
Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 6:28 pm    

A couple months ago I bought a 1974 MSA D-12 that is set up as a D-10. I"m going to take apart the C6 changer to clean it and thought I might as well make use of those other 2 tuning pegs when I put it back together. I'd prefer to make this an extended C6 rather than making changes to the standard 10 string tuning (ie. I'd like to avoid putting a D on string 8 as b0b recommends).

Do you have an extended C6 copedent to share? I definitely want to put a high G string on there but I'm not sure what to do with the other string. High B on string 1 (like the E9)? High F? Low A on string 12? Suggestions welcome.

I also have not found many uses for the A--->B change on P4. If anybody has recommendations for alternatives to this pedal change, I'd love to hear those. Or if anybody has thoughts on ways to use this pedal for changes other than Cmaj7 or Amin9, I sure would appreciate learning how to make better use of what I've already got.

I've only been playing steel for about a year, and C6 is practically brand new to me.

Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 6:41 pm    

A little background:

A while back I posted about difficulty I was having getting some of the changes on this instrument in tune. I want to thank Jon Light, Donny Hinson, and Jerry Overstreet among others for their input on that thread. I called Mike Yahl to ask him about about parts to lower string tension (still can't get C --> A on P8 ) and shared with him that this instrument sat around for about 30 years without being played. He recommended that I take apart and clean the changer before making any adjustments to string tension.

This is what got me thinking about reconfiguring the copedent.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 6:57 pm    

I've had good luck with this tuning on my Excel 12 string. It gives you the high G string and two chromatic strings on top like they are on a standard E9th tuning: (refer to bottom 12 strings on chart below).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 7:42 pm    

Thanks, Greg! This gives me a lot to think about.

How do you use that high F string? If you have the high E-->F change on P6 already, is it mostly for speed picking without pedals?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 7:40 am    

I'm not having a go at Greg, who is a helpful and knowledgeable man, but rather at the general habit of calling those re-entrant strings "chromatic" when on the contrary they are diatonic.

But I guess the usage is too ingrained now.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2021 7:39 am    

I think the only thing one can add reasonably is on the top... which opens up for 2 "inside out" strings, similar to E9th. Universal players have them "automatically" from the E9th version, and the E-to-Eb lever MAY alter one or both.

On my 12 string C6th PSG, I use a high G and then the D as #2. I have been back and forth with Ideas. Maurice, on his NON pedal tuning, put a D and a B... THAT gave him essentially the "chromatic" D and the A string like pulled with the standard 7-pedal. In other words he could wide-grip into the 7 pedal change... which also replicates the C-to-B lower lever and the old Buddy Emmons setup 1st pedal A-to-B full pedal raise (Maj.7th).

Currently, thats what I have, except that I put the lower B on #1... so inside-out-inverted, so to have the D closer to my playing.
I have experimented with the inverted interpretation of Maurice's thinking, by putting A & C out there, which, when I have the 7 pedal engage, would give me those strings original "tuning" out there. It's and "idea" and it has it's charms but I came back from ti to D on #2 and a lower B on #1.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.