The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner with music training recommendations
Ben Murray

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 9:09 am    

Hey all,

I’m excited to finally be getting into the pedal steel. I have a pretty extensive music theory background as I studied jazz bass performance at a conservatory in college and have been playing bass in country groups semi-professionally for over 10 years now.

I’m wondering if people have recommendations for online beginning pedal steel resources that skip the theory side of things and focus more exclusively on physical technique. Obviously a balance is important between the two but I don’t need to rehash scales and number system.

Any recommendations are appreciated! Also, I’m in the Madison, WI area so if anyone knows of people around here that do lessons I’d love to get offline with my training ASAP.

Matt Kidney

Galway, Eire
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 10:36 pm    

Hey Ben I'm a newbie and a bad student but I've been playing guitar for nearly 40 years with solid foundational music theory.

Paul Franklin's Foundations : E9 pedal steel basics made a lightbulb go off for me in terms of where to find chords etc

Purely for right hand technique Joe Wright's Technique bundle has more than enough in there. His Seminar on Youtube is worth watching to https://youtu.be/_P5c30VeceU

Ben Murray

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 5:02 am    

Matt Kidney wrote:
Hey Ben I'm a newbie and a bad student but I've been playing guitar for nearly 40 years with solid foundational music theory.

Paul Franklin's Foundations : E9 pedal steel basics made a lightbulb go off for me in terms of where to find chords etc

Purely for right hand technique Joe Wright's Technique bundle has more than enough in there. His Seminar on Youtube is worth watching to https://youtu.be/_P5c30VeceU

Thanks, Matt!