The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Do You Angle Your Guitar On Stage?
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 5:27 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:

By the way, Sunday, Aug. 1st (and the 22nd) I'm playing in a trio, outdoors, downtown Northampton. 3 pm to 6. "Summer on Strong"... live music on Strong Ave., open to the public. The street is blocked off and the restaurants put tables and chairs out there, potted plants, etc. I have four gigs there this summer with Rosie Porter. Pedal steel, two guitars, and vocals. No bass or drums. That takes some getting used to!

Good to know! I chatted with Rosie at the store the other day. Sounds like she's got you working hard!

No bass! Wow, I don't know whether that's freeing or scary. I'll be at the Florence porch series this Thursday on the 29th and with Wild Bill and the Flying Sparks, if we don't get rained out.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 6:40 am    

It’s good to hear that you’re gigging, Andy. I’ll be in New Hampshire on Thursday but I’ll try to make it to one of your upcoming shows.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 4:02 pm    

Parallel to, and up close towards the front of the stage, if possible. Back in a previous lifetime, when I played out with regularity, often times I had no choice but to squeeze in wherever I could. When there were options, I would set up as close to the door as I could get away with, poised for a quick getaway.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 4:38 pm    

Also, having been a guitar player, if I can see a guitar players chords, I can find that handy when I don't know the song. (I hate "so called" Jams). RP

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2021 5:59 pm    

Where I am playing in a house band now, I am sitting 90 degrees to the crowd and dance floor.
I like to sit at 90 degrees to be able to see the lead guitar player across the stage. So with a nod we can change a kickoff or lead in the ride.
Sometimes places I have played, Just find enough room to set my steel, seat amp. and keep the band leader happy.
1 gig I worked about 2003-05, The house band had so much gear on the stage, I set my speaker on stage with the band. My steel, seat and rack box sat on the corner of the dance floor. At least it was a family show, No Drunk Dancers to dodge.

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2021 1:02 pm    

Never more than a 20 degree angle towards the rest of the band. I understand the ergonomic advantage of facing the rest of the band, but if every band member did this, the whole band would stand is a circle, the singer would be standing with their ass to the crowd and nobody on stage would be facing each other.

I think it’s bad for general stage presence, and with an instrument that already gets brushed aside so often, creates less connection between the steel guitarist and the audience.

In the old days when the steel players were the STARS of the band, guys like Emmons and Day set up at the very front of the stage, directly right next to the singer. They had a ton of personality when they played and usually gathered their own crowd of people who were there to SEE them play steel. Now they set steel players up on risers in the back with the drummers and rhythm instrument players.

Act like your instrument and role in the band is important and worth showcasing, and the people will believe it. Performing live is SHOW BUSINESS, I don’t want to see a steel player’s endplates and mugshot profile. I want to see their smile, their guitar, and their hands while they put it across STRONG to the crowd.

I will say though, ergonomically, it makes sense to try and set up on stage right, as we have to look at our left hands for intonation purposes (right handed players, that is). This makes it where you are looking in the general direction of the band and can view them with your peripheral vision while keeping your focus on the fretboard.

~Chris Scruggs~

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2021 2:14 pm    

45-90 degrees to the band members, eye contact is important to us.

Phone: 971-219-8533