Author Topic:  Adjust pedals in an out on your steel
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 6:51 am    

Just another option for ABC PEDALS

Last edited by Johnie King on 16 Jul 2021 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 7:48 am    

That's pretty clever. Did you design them? How do they attach? Is there any looseness in the pedal/mount attachment?

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 8:27 am    

That’s a cool idea! I’d think those would make it easier for someone who wanted to play “stand-up” pedal steel.
Of course legs,pedal rods need to be extended probably, vol pedal issues,
I know Jackson (Sho~Bud) is building some , as per their web site.
Seems like a good idea, as a lot of us have feet/ankle issues as we’re getting older.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 10:05 am    

Andrew the black Allen set screws hold the pedal pad on the pedal stem.
The pedal pad has a milled slot that fits snugly over the pedal stem.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 10:27 am    

Interesting. I've email you, messaged you and replied to your other post about a year ago about these and have never gotten a response. I suppose one more attempt wouldn't hurt. Do you sell these, if so, how much are they ?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 11:38 am    

No I don't sell these there easy too make.
But you would need a milling machine to run a grove in the pad.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2021 1:35 pm    

Ok.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 5:15 am    

Any issues about the longer travel of the pedal when it's extended?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 6:14 am    

Interesting idea for a complete pedal build, but I can't see how existing pedals could be retrofitted with those pads. They won't fit the contour of many pedal styles and would make the pedal too tall if stacked on top of it.

To adjust the pedal rod to make it longer would make it so thick it would hit the floor before full travel .

For a layman, too much machine work involved. You'd have to build new pedals and machine to fit the existing brackets.

The adjustment feature is a great idea though, if one is designing and building new pedals to fit a specific guitar but they look really nice on your example guitar. JMO. FWIW.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 17 Jul 2021 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 6:16 am    

Peter I don't notice any difference of course that's a good point.

Peter if I built pedals again I would center mount the ball connecting point in stead of side mount.

Basically for me I made the pedals for convenience of pedal build :::: the pads are 3/8 thick with a 1/4 by 1/2 inch grove that fit snugly over the pedal stem. The adjustment part was a lucky bonus.
Drill a hole into 1/2 x 1/2 aluminum stem for axel ::: cut a slight slope on bottom of pedal stem for floor clearance.
Make a pedal pad from 3/8 s aluminum with 1/2 milled grove, drill an tap for 8/32 Allen set screws. Seems like simple way too skin a cat for me.
The set screws don't need show I just used the ones I had.

Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 1:34 pm    

Those extenders are are really neat, but it looks like without removing them, you will have trouble closing the case. I made extenders for my Emmons Legrand guitar, although not as nice as Johnny's, they still do the same thing. They slip on and off and And can be put in your seat. They can be made any length, I have a post showing the picture of them if you can find it on the foram

all you need is a hack saw and a file, the extender is made with one inch by one half inch flat aluminum Tubing You can order the tubing online In any length, you want. I believe my post is listed as my easy pedal extenders, really cheap to build.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 2:01 pm    

Willie Sims wrote:
Those extenders are are really neat, but it looks like without removing them, you will have trouble closing the case. I made extenders for my Emmons Legrand guitar, although not as nice as Johnny's, they still do the same thing. They slip on and off and And can be put in your seat. They can be made any length, I have a post showing the picture of them if you can find it on the foram

all you need is a hack saw and a file, the extender is made with one inch by one half inch flat aluminum Tubing You can order the tubing online In any length, you want. I believe my post is listed as my easy pedal extenders, really cheap to build.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=327387&highlight=extenders

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 6:40 pm    

Cool idea! While it's true that fit in some cases might pose a problem, that's due more to poor case design. (The traditional leg-bag idea should have been ditched decades ago.)

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:55 pm    

At the risk of derailing the thread...

What's the better case design and alternative to the leg bag, Donny? I'm interested.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 8:31 am    

I've seen it done two different ways. The first was with a compartment in the lid for the legs and rods. The second was with notched holders in the lid, the legs and rods secured with Velcro straps. It's not rocket science to come up with a good alternative. A few decades ago, I thought of modifying the leg bag with flaps on each side so it could be used as a steel cover. And as I recall, someone eventually did put that into production, but the idea was never widely accepted.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 7:28 pm     Re: Adjust pedals in an out on your steel

Johnie King wrote:
Just another option for ABC PEDALS

Gorgeous instrument!

The pedals... I know that Bobbe Seymore talked often about him fiddlin' with the shape of HIS guitar's pedals... like sanding corners off.
The very first PSG's in the 40's has staggered length pedals... I don't feel the need for it and I've played an 8 pedal universal for years crossing over freely.
But I could see that a shorter far-out-left pedal could be something I could get used to.

Again... gorgeous instrument!... J-D

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.