The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Russ-ler legs! Please help!
Michael Munday

England, UK
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 12:33 am    

Hi all! I'm really new to this world. I've bought an old Russ-ler (spelt like that), 12-string PSG. I love the sound of it - it's gorgeous. But the legs are locked tight (front) or knackered and fall apart (back). Clearly I need new legs, but I don't know what size to order (thread/plug size). Can anyone help? Here are a couple of pics. Thank you! Michael

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 2:22 am    

Someone much more knowledgable than me will probably sort you out, but in case they don't, you could do worse than buying one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Thread-Pitch-Gauge-SAE/dp/B004ROIU2A

...but since you've already got a mobile sample, I would be tempted to take it to a plumbing warehouse (or the like) and get them to match the thread....then at least you know what to specify.

HTH

Peter

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 5:36 am    

Being a clever machinist with precision eyeballs, it looks like a 3/4-10 INCH thread.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 6:30 am    

I neeeaarly said that, but I'm not such a clever machinist... Laughing ...and these daze my 73 year old eyeballs frequently deceive me when I need them most... Crying or Very sad

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 6:47 am    

There are some Russ-ler owners here so I expect you will eventually get a good and positive answer. Meanwhile, you can know that the modern 'standard' that will fit a large majority of steels is 1/2" x 13 thread so you can be certain that a standard leg will not work for you.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 7:04 am    

I suggest you get in touch with Chuck Back at Desert Rose steels. He may know...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2021 9:14 am    

Being "locked" is fine for the front legs as you don't normally adjust them anyway. If the rear leg problem is just that the inside tube is loose and they won't stay where you put them, new clutch parts can be purchased. Bear in mind that a new set of legs will set you back at least $150 (and very likely more).

The 3/4" x 10 was the size for the old Fender steel guitar legs, and was also the size used on the Fender-Rhodes electric pianos.

Michael Munday

England, UK
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:21 am     Old Russ-ler legs! Please help!

Many thanks to all who replied to my post! What a helpful bunch! I'm really impressed at this forum and the generosity of members!
I've now been in touch with Ron Bennett (now in Scotland) who thinks he can help on this. On the front legs issue I would need longer ones anyway as my (fleshandbone) legs are quite long! Is there a recommended height of front leg (average)? Cheers all!

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 1:01 pm    

Slip Edwards is right - Chuck Back, Desert Rose Guitars in Tucson, AZ bought them out and has lots of parts.

I worked with him for a few years and have the old Russ-Ler pedals on my Desert Rose.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 12:41 pm    

The late Harold Flynn bought the Russ-ler line years ago. I believe Fred Layman owned it for a while after Harold died. Lost track of it after that.
PRR