The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wiring Fender D-8 for max "Boo-Wah" and "Stutter Switch"
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 11:50 am    

Hey,

So I have a beautiful 1952 Fender Dual 8 Professional. The pots were dead when I got it, so I carefully removed (and saved!) them, and replaced them with normal guitar 250K pots. I forget what caps I used. Anyway, the "Boowah" on the tone pot is a bit weak, so firstly I'd like advice on the best pot/cap to nail that. Doesn't have to be the stock values, since I've already replaced those.

Also, I use an external "stutter switch" I have connected to the leg, but if I could get that onboard, I'd prefer it. Was thinking about using a volume pot/kill switch like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-SH-124-500K-Kill-Pot/dp/B002XUCZI0

Any thoughts? Would it works? Is there something better? I don't mind non-stock mods.......as long as it doesn't involve cutting holes or permanent, non-reversible changes.

Overall, any suggestions?

Thanks!

- Jim

Brian Cheetham

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 12:01 pm     Original

Not sure what you’re looking for (boo-wah?) vs what you have now.

Here is the original diagram for that https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1642265&sid=41b0302bd7b23730373f47a5e432c202

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 8:09 pm    

That pot your looking at won't work. The key for what you want is in the Cap value, you need a strong cap that will get very low bass. Use a .1 mfd cap. The more modern caps like .022 or .047 just won't cut it. The 250k pot you already have should work fine as long as you can turn it with your little finger. note = all pots are not created equal....some turn easier then others.....Chris

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 2:35 pm    

Do you give up anything with using a .1 cap instead of the .05? Is it just affecting the intensity of the change as you turn (for quicker boo-wah onset), or do you compromise anything else, like overall signal frequency content? I had mine open today and replaced a staticky paper-in-oil .047 cap (mojotone) with a .1 mallory and it just sounds a little... duller... I'm pretty sure I have 250k audio pots per John Ely's site. I'm probably just imagining a difference.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 5:00 pm    

Quote:

Do you give up anything with using a .1 cap instead of the .05? Is it just affecting the intensity of the change as you turn (for quicker boo-wah onset), or do you compromise anything else, like overall signal frequency content? I had mine open today and replaced a staticky paper-in-oil .047 cap (mojotone) with a .1 mallory and it just sounds a little... duller... I'm pretty sure I have 250k audio pots per John Ely's site. I'm probably just imagining a difference.
No compromise at all, when in the full on mood all 3 values will sound exactly the same, you are still able to get all the sounds you got before. It will only affect how bassy it gets when you roll it off.....Chris

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 7:27 pm    

Chris Clem wrote:
That pot your looking at won't work.

I think I might not have been clear.

I want the correct "boo-wah" pot and cap on the TONE control. Thank you for laying that out so clearly, above.

But, I also want to put a "stutter" kill pot on the volume. The link I posted has all different values PLUS linear vs audio taper version. Don't see why a 250K linear taper kill pot shouldn't work......unless I'm missing something?

Thanks!

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 7:40 pm    

Chris Clem wrote:
The key for what you want is in the Cap value, you need a strong cap that will get very low bass. Use a .1 mfd cap. The more modern caps like .022 or .047 just won't cut it.

.....and for the electrical numbskulls (like me!), who are interested, a.1 mfd cap is the same as a 0.1uf capacitor, and a lot easier to find with that designation. Wink

So, from all the info here, in the schematic, and on other threads, I believe I want:

Volume - 250k linear kill pot for stutter

Tone - 1meg audio taper pot (fast turning, please!) and a 0.1uf capacitor for boo-wah.

Make sense??

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 9:28 pm    

Chris Clem wrote:
Quote:

No compromise at all, when in the full on mood all 3 values will sound exactly the same, you are still able to get all the sounds you got before. It will only affect how bassy it gets when you roll it off.....Chris

Thanks, Chris.

I’m deeply indebted to for you for all the amazing videos you’ve uploaded on YT. You’re my hero!
Jim

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 12:26 pm    

Quote:
So, from all the info here, in the schematic, and on other threads, I believe I want:

Volume - 250k linear kill pot for stutter

Tone - 1meg audio taper pot (fast turning, please!) and a 0.1uf capacitor for boo-wah.

Make sense??

Yes I see now what your trying to do. It will work in that layout. I would just switch the taper on the pots. Use Audio on the Vol. and Linear on the Tone (If available)....Chris

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2021 12:33 pm    

Quote:
Thanks, Chris.

I’m deeply indebted to for you for all the amazing videos you’ve uploaded on YT. You’re my hero!
Jim

Thanks Jim good to hear. For those who may be missing out "ha ha" on my channel....here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX1HmiZ33K4iLgmQ3iMNrKQ