The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does a steel player need an outboard graphic eq ?
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2021 12:08 am    

As the title says,do We need a graphic eq.If You have a decent amp it will have good controls for Lows.mids,Highs etc., is there a benefit having further controls to tweak the sound?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2021 12:16 am    

Graphics predated parametric EQs. If your mid control(s) offer some choice of operating frequency, then a graphic probably doesn't give you much you don't already have.

The more primitive your amp, the more useful it might be.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2021 4:53 am    

I have both a graphic eq and a parametric eq. Every amp has a different speaker and eq controls. Not every amp requires outboard control, some do. So I use one when the amp can't do the frequency I need to cut or boost. Whatever it takes to satisfy your tone requirements.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 4:39 pm    

If you have an amp with an effects loop, an EQ can be an effective tone shaping device.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 1:17 am    

They are certainly not necessary but can add an element of refinement and musicality if you take the time to set them well. For recording I've tended to use a programmable 31 band graphic EQ because each instrument requires its own setting. My Sho~Bud especially comes alive and sounds unbelievable with a precise setting.

More recently I've started using a Source Audio EQ 2. That box is superb. Though it is only a dual 10 band EQ, set by default to work as a graphic EQ, you can turn it into a 20 band fully parametric EQ which is clearly more powerful than a 31 band graphic EQ. The EQ 2 will store more than a hundred presets and is tiny and reasonably priced.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 5:12 am    

No, you really don't need a separate EQ unless your amp is not giving you the sound you want. Some players are happy with just a "Tone" control, while others want a Bass-Mid-treble setup. Still others want a more total control of the sound, so they go for an amp with a "Shift" control, or an outboard EQ. A graphic EQ is by far the most versatile, but a simple parametric satisfies many players. Keep in mind that pedal steelers don't have the advantages most lead players have. Steel guitars don't have multiple, switchable pickups, and they don't usually even have a tone control. That's why we need more capabilities in the rig, and why we sometimes use a separate EQ.