The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA pickups
Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 3:38 pm    

Why do the ‘70s MSA single coils not have the same full, bright sound as other single coils? I’ve been told that it’s not because the guitar is plywood, but the pickup is the reason I don’t like the sound. Is it because of how many turns of wire? The strength/type of magnets?

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 3:27 am    

MSA single coils were awful.. had several and they just sounded bad to my ears.. Their SS humbuckers were powerful and sustained better, but were too dark and thick.. That and those plywood /mica bodies on the first Classics made for less than optimum tone.
When they went to maple/lacquer later on, the guitars sounded better and sustained better, but still had those dark SS humbuckers.. The MSA lacquer guitars really woke up when the SS humbucker was replaced by a single coil, or brighter humbucker..
In my opinion, the MSA Classic guitars despite how many they sold, which was a LOT, just were never that sweet sounding as other brands, especially the mica bodies..This is coming from an MSA lover.. I played them because they were bulletproof, and always in tune, just NEVER wore anything out or broke any parts... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 6:56 am    

Has anyone had good luck rewinding an MSA single coil? Is there some reason that with the right wire and number of turns it couldn’t be made to sound as good as any other similar sized single coil?

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 12:34 pm    

Never tried that, but let me put it this way,, It could only get better.
. What I DID do, many ,many years ago when the mica MSA guitars were still new, was had a very good luthier hand rewind the MSA SS Humbucker.All he reused from the MSA pickup was the plastic case. He made it into a coil isolating/ select deal.. Either front or back coil alone, or both coils full humbucker. 3 distinct and very usable sounds. it transformed that mica . At that time, back in the 70's I think I had the only one on the block in that configuration, unless the GeorgeL 10-5 was around at that time, not sure... bob

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 2:00 pm    

So Bob, your rewind didn’t use the original magnets?

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2021 7:48 pm    

I liked the old MSA single coils much better than the later Supersustain pickups. Here's my old '75 Classic with single coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7o6GHl9ps&ab_channel=DOUBLE10
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 4:49 am    

Bobby Burns wrote:
So Bob, your rewind didn’t use the original magnets?

You know, it was so long ago, I am not sure.. It is possible he used the existing magnets.. All I know for sure was that he rewound the pickup so that I could isolate each coil, and still have the humbucker as well, all on a 3 way switch..This was back around 1979 or thereabout.....

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 6:06 am     Too much wire.

Somewhere back in the '60s or '70s, someone made the decision to put more wire on pickups. Maybe this was to get more output or a fatter sound. Or maybe it was to lessen the affect of pot pedals. In reality, it hurt more than it helped.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2021 4:19 pm    

I had an S10 with the single coil and didn't like it. After routing out the body, I installed an L710 which gave me the tone but it didn't help the lack of sustain from the plywood body. I later got an MSA D10 formica with a solid maple body and Super Sustain pickups, which were very muddy, but it did have sustain because of the solid maple body. Installed L710's in it and have good tone and sustain.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 8:22 am    

I replaced the pickup on the green guitar shown in my avatar with a George L 5-1. I had my former white mica guitar retrofitted with the Sierra modular system. I had a George L single coils which positively SANG, but also produced that 50 cycle hum. I also had some sort of humbucker, which was quiet but sounded dull and lifeless.

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 9:23 am    

I have thought about having the original pickup rewound, but don’t want to bother if the magnets or something else could be a problem.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 7:01 am     MSA pickups

Darvin ; sounds great! You even have the original MSA knee lever placement on that beast! I had a73 D-10 classic I loved, played it for 8 years then swapped the pups to BL-705’s and played it for another 8…Bobby there’s a guy in Nashville playing one through a twin with JBL’s and he put in an Emmons pickup and sounds excellent! Might be worth considering!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 7:10 am    

Mike Holder, I don't know about the original kneel lever placement, I have 8 KLs on this one. Down through the years I added KL changes wherever I had the room to do it, I had no idea what other players were doing. I lower the E's on my RKR and raise them with the LKR, the rest of the levers have changes I thought I needed. Smile
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 7:14 am     Msa

You fooled me by the RKR.. when they came with 8&4 the RKR lowered the E’s, RKL raised them, LKR lowered 2&9 & KKL raised 1&7

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 2:46 pm    

Darvin, good sounds from that old MSA. Makes me want to try improving ny 74 Classic D10 8x2.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2021 4:14 pm     Re: MSA pickups

Mike Holder wrote:
Darvin ; sounds great! You even have the original MSA knee lever placement on that beast! I had a73 D-10 classic I loved, played it for 8 years then swapped the pups to BL-705’s and played it for another 8…Bobby there’s a guy in Nashville playing one through a twin with JBL’s and he put in an Emmons pickup and sounds excellent! Might be worth considering!

Ha mike would you know the guy in Nashville playing a MSA D-10 thru a twin would love to here that combo
Paul Wade

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 1:20 am    

Paul; it was over a year ago I saw him play and never knew his name but I did compliment him on his playing and tone and he mentioned swapping out the pickups,

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2021 2:22 am    

I always felt that Curly Chalker got great tone from whatever MSA guitar that he played. He was loaned a number of MSA guitars (mainly mica bodies) before the company went bust and asked him to return his loan guitar.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,