The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Glitch Free - Tuning Windows for Audio Performance
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2021 6:54 am    

Here is the link to a free guide for tweaking a Windows based computer for audio recording.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

I found it to be very helpful in explaining how a computer does the work of audio recording. It also 'splains how to set up Windows to minimize glitches for home recording and for live performances. I liked the straightforward low-jargon language and brevity.

The emphasis on specific recommendations to maximize a computer's set up for audio stability was clear and actionable. From what I can tell, the changes to my computer certainly smoothed things out. I found the section on latency minimization particularly helpful.

As with everything under the Sun... YMMV! Smile

Charles Mechenbier

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 6:53 am    

Thanks! Helpful already.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2021 7:29 am    

That has some good info in it, although its dated and isn't Windows 10 or more modern Windows 10 hardware related. Some of the tweaks are not needed in Win 10 or are already handled by Win 10.
One big no no is ASIO4ALL, a wrapper that fakes the system into thinking the device driver is an ASIO. Even though it may work for some, ASIO4ALL has been known to cause problems and even system corruptions.

I've been doing computer based recording for about 15 years. Very little tweaking has been needed. Basically do not have other apps running, clean up the PC startup as many programs want to be in startup and not needed. When I do any recording or mixing/mastering I disable Internet as I've had dropouts with it enabled. I only use the default built in Windows Defender for antivirus; some other antivirus programs have been known to cause or potentially cause glitches. I also have Malwarebytes but so far no issues with it running (and with internet disabled its not really doing anything).

The noted Resplendence Latency Mon is absolute must have tool needed to check your PC.

The book states 256 buffer is all that is needed and will produce latency in the range of 6 msec. Modern recording interface units and modern CPU's allow much better latency. I'm using 64 bit buffer on my recording interface unit which yields 1.8 ms recording latency and 2.3 ms playback latency (what I can live with).

Finally, get a "real" USB recording interface. Don't try to use the PC sound card as latency is terrible.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 16 Aug 2021 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 10:02 am    

This may be covered in the guide you linked as well (I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet), but I wrote up a blog post detailing solutions to several Windows 10 audio issues I and my friends have run into as well; check it out if you're curious. Several of my friends have found it very helpful!

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112