The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Photos
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 3:11 pm    

Here are some photos I took of Buddy Emmons and Jeff Newman playing at a show here in Lakeland, FL back in the early 80's. I'm not positive of the date, but I believe this to be in 1985. I found these old pics when I was going through some of my old stuff. I thought maybe some of y'all might like these photos.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2021 12:42 am    

Thanks Ken for posting. I was fortunate to see Buddy play several times at steel shows. He sure had a magic about him no one else had.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2021 3:43 am    

I saw Emmons here in Lakeland twice. To say it was amazing is an understatement. On one of his visits here, I attended his basic E9 class. I got there early, and set up directly in front of him, about 8ft away. It was like being in the presence of royalty.

Daniel Dickie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2021 11:23 pm    

Thanks for sharing the photos Ken
If you have any stories about Buddy please share them on the stories page Smile

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 4:26 am    

Great photos and memories of Buddy and Jeff. Like the rest here I could never get enough of his magic.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 5:10 am    

I've seen Buddy 3 times, twice here in Lakeland, FL, and once at Scotty's Convention, the year Buddy was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. To say he is amazing, is an understatement.

I've seen all of my steel guitar hero's at one time or another, but the only one I never got to see doing in an instrumental setting was Ralph Mooney. I saw Moon twice with Waylon Jennings though.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 5:31 am    

I went to a Buddy Emmons Seminar at the ISGC. Was set up on the front row. To be truthful the "teaching" part of the Seminar left something to be desired. But we had a Question and Answer with Buddy and being able to "pick his brains" was worth the cost of the Seminar.

I saw Buddy on a show with Scotty in Ft Scott Kansas back in the 80's. I don't remember the year but the Sho-Bud's were being built in Kansas at the time (a couple from the factory were on display at the show).

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2021 5:44 am    

Interesting, Buddy appears to be playing a SKH Legrande with 4 knee levers, maybe a LKV on E9 !