The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Players in Downtown Nashville
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2021 6:06 pm    

I see periodic posts here about the lack of steel players to be heard in downtown Nashville and I remain perplexed.

Today after setting up for my gig, I did a quick tour of just the block I was on. Tommy Hannum and and Mike Fried were on one side of the street and Carco Clave and Tom Killen were on the other side.

During my set there was a steel player I didn't recognize a couple of doors down and I heard another steel player across the street but am not sure who it was.

As I was heading to my car, Steve Nelson was getting ready to play at Layla's.

All these bands were playing traditional country music - the other thing I continually hear is missing in downtown Nashville.

So, I can't promise there will be that many players if you visit and maybe there will be none. BUT, if you think either steel guitar or country music are gone from downtown, you'd be mistaken.

Now, to be clear - there are LOTS of great reasons not to go downtown. The traffic is terrible, parking gets more expensive by the day it seems, the noise can be fierce and, of course the party bands - which have long been most of the music down there - compete at an ear-shattering volume level for your attention.

Are you more likely to hear nothing but great country music and players at the several clubs out by Opryland and have an easier/cheaper time hearing it all? 100%.

But if your reason for not going downtown is the supposed lack of country music or steel guitars, you might want to think again.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 2:58 pm    

Thanks for the update Chris. Encouraging to read your post-I hope the trend continues. Personally I don't need steel guitar to be playing every fill and break, but I need the steel to be included in country bands.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 1:13 am    

Thx Chris. When I was working( day job) , Nville was in my territory . I read many times where some would say there is very little Country Music had 4 piece bands , which were always 4 piece bands, I never had trouble finding a Steel player or country music .

Heres a few I ran into now and then, Tommy White, Tom Killan, Eddie Lang, Doug Jernigan , Rusty Danmeyer etc

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Cameron Mee

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2021 7:12 pm    

Hey Chris - can you message me when you play next? I play downtown on electric guitar, but would love to catch you play sometime.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2021 7:16 am    

Email sent, Cameron.