The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Delay/Echo pedals
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 6:14 am    

Which is the best way to hook up your delay and echo pedals? I have mine from guitar to echo to delay to amp.Is this the correct way? Confused
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 6:36 am    

Sure, that works. If you have a dirt pedal, people usually put the delay after it or in the amp's effect loop.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 6:59 am    

I've always ran Delay then reverb. Right or wrong that's the way I've done it for the last 45 years.

Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 8:23 am     delay

Thanks for your imput guys,much appreciated Smile
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 8:41 am    

I sometimes run a little over drive pedal (I barely use it; and keep it cranked down quite a bit..it's more of a little boost..The EHX Soul Food pedal).

That goes first after guitar, THEN, if you want into a Volume pedal. I run the volume pedal when I use it after the overdrive. Overdrive and dirt pedals react to signal strength a lot. So I only want the overdrive reacting to my picking dynamics and NOT the volume pedal, I run it before the volume pedal.

AFTER the volume pedal, I go into a delay (MXR Carbon Copy, usually), if I use it.

The last pedal before the amp is my reverb pedal. I use either a Topanga Spring reverb, or a Digitech pedal called " Supernatural Ambient Reverb". I like the room verb setting on that one, but if I want spring reverb sound I use the Topanga.

Anyway; there's no real rules; but generally you want the last pedal before your amp to be a reverb (if you are using one, or just use the amp's reverb).
If no reverb pedal; then last pedal before amp can be delay (or echo).

Basically: Guitar----dirt pedal----volume pedal----delay-----reverb---amp.

Or just go straight to amp and no pedals

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 5:38 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I've always ran Delay then reverb. Right or wrong that's the way I've done it for the last 45 years.

I use a Boss RV3 with delay and reverb, so I only have one pedal that does both.