The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Moyo volume pedal suddenly a tone control!
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 4:51 am    

I know a little about circuits but this perplexes me. I have a newer MOYO with tuner out. Hadn’t used it in several months but when I plugged it in yesterday it just shaved all the top end off and didn’t control overall volume. I tried it with my Justice and my Sho~Bud Perm, with different cords and amps. No effects pedals, strictly from guitar to MOYO to amp. I can see no loose wires inside the pedal. Weird!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 6:10 am    

DUH moment warning..

Did you plug it in the other way around?

K Maul

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 7:02 am    

Peter Harris wrote:
DUH moment warning..

Did you plug it in the other way around?

DUH ! Forgot to mention that I indeed did that!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 7:33 am    

By having it backwards, then the pot in the pedal becomes a load control, "loading down" the pickup acts as a tone control until right at the bottom where the volume likely shuts off or nearly off.

When plugged in correctly, the pickup always sees 500k (or so) of a load and the tone remains mostly consistent.

B

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 7:34 am    

Yeah -- that was my first thought but since you said you tried pretty much anything, I ruled that out. I did just try reversing leads on my Moyo and the result was bad but not as you described. I'm happy to say that after riding in a pocket of my gig bag for a couple of years as a back up, it is still working flawlessly.
I guess I'd be looking for a stray hair of copper braid bridging between something and something.....
What you describe is odd as hell.

K Maul

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 8:28 am    

I can’t see any stray strands of wire. There is a resistor in there, I guess to keep consistent tone through the sweep of the pot. Maybe it has changed value? I know that is rare but can happen. I may try contacting Glenn. I have an older MOYO that’s never been a problem. It is strange.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 9:16 am    

The resistor would (most probably) be the isolator between the signal path and the tuner output (as in the sticky at the top of this Electronics page). I cannot make any case for there being an issue involving that.

K Maul

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 11:51 am    

Those pedals are so darn small ….I looked in there but I didn’t use a flashlight. I saw the resistor but I did not see the tiny capacitor. I bought this used on the forum a year ago and put it away until just today. I thought I tried it before but I guess I didn’t. I contacted Glenn Taylor and he told me that he made a few “boowah” tone control pedals and this is one of them. Sorry to have taken up all of your time! I’ve got to get in there with my soldering iron to turn it into a volume pedal now.
Signing off.