The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ART-SLA 1 or 2: Opinions
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 12:57 pm    

Does anyone have experience with either the ART-SLA 1 or 2 power amps? I'm looking for a single rack unit power amp, and these seem to be fairly affordable. I'm trying to complete a four space rack and I only have one space available for a power amp.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 1:46 pm    

Paul, you probably know that John Hughey used the Stewart power amps and that seems to be best. I have a Art SLA 1 and a Stewart. The Art is ok but under powered for my needs. The Stewart is clean and clear. I also tried the Peavey DPC 750 and it was too sterile in my opinion.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 9:48 am    

I'll second the Stewart power amp. I have the World 1.2 power amp and currently using it in a PA system. Lots of clean neutral power that doesn't color the sound. Whatever preamp you use will be transparent with the power amp.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 5:45 pm    

Paul,
A little history on the ART SLA 1&2. The little single rack space ART Power Amps you are inquiring about, actually started out as an early American dj power amp called the V1500.

https://www.adj.com/v1500

Which has long since been discontinued. American dj then, tried it again with the VLP-300,which they again discontinued.

https://www.adj.com/vlp-300

I recall the V 1500 weighed 25 pounds, and sadly didn't really live up to it's expectations. Just nothing there. It made a pretty good stage monitor anp, but at 25 pounds, we to dumped it real quick.

Then the VLP-300, had two dual speed automatic fans, no need for two fans, but it had them. Very noisy. Here again, we tried one for a couple nights, and there was no there...there. We returned it to American Musical Supply and got a refund.

So American (Audio) dj, all one company sold the amps to ART. They reconfigured them, and cut out the fans i think, and made the weight manageable. I played around with the SLA1, and wasn't overly impressed. Ithink these little amps would do great powering stage monitors, or possibly side fill. But for steel guitar? Not so great. But they are lighter now. Hope this jelps a bit, good luck on your search.

Incidentally, to their credit, American dj, also made a 4 channel version. They were the first on the block to ever put out a 4 channel single space rack power amplifier.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 10:46 am    

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like all the love goes to the Stewart amps. I'm in no rush on this as I have other amp options. It's just that I have a rack that is complete except for a power amp, and I only have one space available, and my rack is shallow, so the requirements are a bit severe.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2021 11:47 am    

Paul, my Stewart is a bit deep, so is the peavey DPC 750. I know single space power amps are rare. That was my dilemma. I have a Sarno revelation and it's double space so a single power amp was necessary. Your choices are limited.