The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Suggestion for 10" speakers
Jeffrey Phebus

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 1:04 pm    

I have a vibrolux reverb w 2x 10 speakers, obviously a 12 or 15" speaker would be ideal but what recommendations would any one have for 2 x10 replacement for more headroom i.e. JBL, neodymium. Eminence kappa pro 10.

Jeff

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 2:13 pm    

Before you spend any money, try your amp with an extension speaker and unplug the internal speaker. Vibrolux amps are noted for early breakup, so it may not make too much difference with a speaker change. Just food for thought.

Jeffrey Phebus

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 3:39 pm    

Thanks Morton and I do understand that a 40w blackface is going to breakup much sooner than say a twin. I was thinking if I could maximize efficiency of say a different pair of 10s that had a wider frequency range then the eminence legends that currently are in the amp I could keep the volume down to limit the break up.

Jeff

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 4:33 pm    

Jeff, this could be a tough choice without trying them. I hope someone who uses 10" speakers chimes in. Best of luck.

Jeffrey Phebus

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 4:48 pm    

Thanks, I figured if anyone would know it would be on the forum. Plan to get a Milkman amp but saving up fir a steel first and hoped I could make do with the VR

Jeff

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 5:03 am     10

I have the same amplifier. I put Celestion Gold 10's in it. I love these speakers. A bit pricey, but worth the money.
Also, I find this amp has a lot of head room. I am using new Tungsol 7581A output tubes and 12AY7 in the preamp. Incredible sound.

Last edited by Mark Draycott on 20 Jun 2021 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 6:02 am    

I own an original 1964 'Vibrolux' and have performed the test that Morton suggests, unplugging the internal speakers and running the amp through both a 15" JBL D130 and a 12" Telonics. What I discovered was that the amp possessed more than adequate headroom for most situations or in other words, if you cannot be heard using this setup the band you are working with is far too loud (JMHO). In fact, the tone was so pleasing that in order to preserve the originality of the '64, I ordered a Marsh 'Mello-Verb Jr.' 40 watt head (which from what I understand, uses the Vibrolux as a basis for the circuit with the addition of a few welcome improvements).

Jeffrey Phebus

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 7:35 am     Re: 10

Mark Draycott wrote:
I have the same amplifier. I put Celestion Gold 10's in it. I love these speakers. A bit pricey, but worth the money.
Also, I find this amp has a lot of head room. I am using new Tungsol 7581A output tubes and 12AY7 in the preamp. Incredible sound.

Oh yeah I have two 7581A from an old Peavy heritage. I could bias them and definitely increase headroom wattage.

Is the gold ceramic and known for more headroom, I have a blue 12 in my tweed.

Jeff

Jeffrey Phebus

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 7:37 am    

David Nugent wrote:
I own an original 1964 'Vibrolux' and have performed the test that Morton suggests, unplugging the internal speakers and running the amp through both a 15" JBL D130 and a 12" Telonics. What I discovered was that the amp possessed more than adequate headroom for most situations or in other words, if you cannot be heard using this setup the band you are working with is far too loud (JMHO). In fact, the tone was so pleasing that in order to preserve the originality of the '64, I ordered a Marsh 'Mello-Verb Jr.' 40 watt head (which from what I understand, uses the Vibrolux as a basis for the circuit with the addition of a few welcome improvements).

Good to know, one of my ideas was to take the chassis out and put into a head cab and get either an extension cab with 4ohm 12 or 15

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 7:49 am    

The gold is Alnico. I believe it is around 100db @ 1 watt. A fair amount of volume for a 10"

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 9:14 pm    

I really like the Eminence Ragin Cajun that’s in my old Princeton Reverb for E9. It’s got some snap in the upper mids which may not be for everyone, but I actually prefer it to the JBL K110 I had in that amp before, and I do love JBL speakers. Efficient, and at a 75w rating, could be worth considering for a 40 watt amp.

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Ragin_Cajun.pdf

I also like the stuff from Warehouse Guitar Speakers in Fender amps: https://wgsusa.com/