The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Bolt-On!! *The Cash Cadillac*
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 12:46 pm    

I found a gem. It’s a ‘66 S10 Bolt-On. It has all of the most important attributes I like in an axe. To attempt to articulate it I’ll state that every note has a “sparkle” in addition to the root tone, great note separation, awesome sustain, tuning stability, and can be easily chimed up and down the neck. It has a Wrap Around pup—-don’t know how that attributes to the magic, but, as Mike Cass has said, everything effects everything.

Kelcey O’Neal named it the Cash Cadillac because I asked him to do some custom work for me as depicted below. Notice the red flocking, the quick pedal rod revision for faster setup/tear down, and the pedal rod pin relocation on pedal 4. That pedal is used to create an 8-string open C6th tuning on strings 2, and 4-10. (Shoutout to Mike Sigler!).The new pin location facilitates a better feel when activating that pedal. Since it’s a S10 the A & C pedals are a tad stiffer than I like so I’m working on some raise assist springs.(Thank you Jay Dee Maness!). Also, I’m adding knee-lever flags as needed to facilitate being able to sit away from the guitar instead of feeling cramped underneath it.

Now that I have this one I intend to start selling some other guitars.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 2:29 pm    

Wow, that's a NICE one.

Eric OHara

Peru, NY, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 2:45 pm    

Hi Marty, great guitar. I like the idea of the open C6 pedal setup.
Are there threads in the Forum related to that idea and it’s set up?
Many thanks. Enjoy your new guitar!!! Eric
Beard Decophonic 57/ Fishman JD preamp
Goodrich 6122-R
Walrus Slotva Reverb, JHS Thunderbolt, ZVEX fuzz factory
Evans JE-200, RE-150
Peavey Nashville 112, 400
Keal Cases

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 3:46 pm    

Nice. That pedal rod hookup definitely catches my attention. I don't know if I am alone in this but I find pedal hookup to be difficult and actually painful to my fingers. Those are welded on the shaft, right?

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 5:03 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Nice. That pedal rod hookup definitely catches my attention. I don't know if I am alone in this but I find pedal hookup to be difficult and actually painful to my fingers. Those are welded on the shaft, right?

Jon,
They are drilled and tapped into the the shaft, much like how the knee levers are attached with a machine screw.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 5:17 pm    

@Eric, I’ll attempt to depict the changes using my phone. Some strings are raised and others are lowered while strings 1&3 aren’t effected.

F# > same
D# > -D
G# > same. ( could be lowered to G for extra versatility)
E > E same
B > +C
G# > +A
F# > +G
E > E same
D > -C
B > -A

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 18 Jun 2021 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 5:25 pm    

Kelcey ONeil wrote:

Jon,
They are drilled and tapped into the the shaft, much like how the knee levers are attached with a machine screw.

Ah. I misread the photo. Thought that was just a collar. Thanks Kelcey. That's great.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 6:10 pm    

The only thing that can make this gem better is hearing Marty play it! He’s a monster player and does things that most of us still haven’t figured out how he does it...much less emulate it. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Marty, I’m sure I speak for many that we’d love to see and hear you play it. Post some clips when you get time my friend.
Dave 🙂👍🏻

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2021 6:46 pm    

David, thank you very much for the kind words.
At my request There has been some discussions about connecting a Mac into the signal chain so I can create some soundtracks for me to create new fills and solos. (I’m tired of my current stuff…lol). Maybe it will provide an opportunity to post some sound clips.

Take care

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 9:38 am    

Quote:
I don't know if I am alone in this but I find pedal hookup to be difficult and actually painful to my fingers.

I got kind of used to it. Pushing down on that pedal stop adjustment screw IS a bit painful, especially on the pedals with several changes. One of my bolt-ons has a bunch of unused bell cranks in the middle of the cross-shafts, screwed down tight. It came that way when I bought it from Rick Price. At first I just thought "Great! spare parts!!" But what I found was that they are convenient 'handles' for moving that pedal rod lever up to get the rod in place as well.

I have to say those add-on lever attachments are nice though.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 11:31 am    

Bill Terry wrote:
.......especially on the pedals with several changes........

.......But what I found was that they are convenient 'handles' for moving that pedal rod lever up to get the rod in place as well........

I do have a couple of loaded pedals that take serious finger pressure to move.
It is not an urgent issue but I have been trying to visualize some sort of button to top the stop screw (without making tuning the pedal inconvenient). But your image of a 'handle' elsewhere on the shaft....this has got me thinking, for sure.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 11:42 am    

Quote:
But your image of a 'handle' elsewhere on the shaft....this has got me thinking, for sure.

Yeah, Clem Schmitz (sp?) at one time sold bell cranks that could be installed without removing the cross shaft. Might be kinda overkill for a 'handle' but that would be an easy (if not cheap) fix..

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2021 11:48 am    

Bill Terry wrote:

Yeah, Clem Schmitz (sp?) at one time sold bell cranks that could be installed without removing the cross shaft. Might be kinda overkill for a 'handle' but that would be an easy (if not cheap) fix..

Yep. Still does. I've put three of those for my 'new' guitar. I nominate him for the HOF for this alone.