The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  tuning splits on strings with 2 different lowers?
Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 9:32 pm    

Hi all - I'm hoping you can help me figure out how to tune splits on strings with 2 different lowers (i.e., a half step on one pedal/knee and a whole step on another).

My PSG (Mullen G2 SD10) has the Franklin change on P4 and B>Bb on P0. I want the split between the A pedal and P0 to be a C. This all applies to both strings 5 and 10. I also have B>A on the 10th string with LKR, but let's ignore that for now Smile.

When I try to tune it using the method set out in the Mullen manual (and as recommended in at least some of the posts here), I do as follows:

1. tune the open B string
2. press the A pedal and tune the C# using the nylon nut.
3. press the A pedal and P0 and use the nylon nut for the P0 change to tune the split to C.
4. press just P0 and use the hex screw to tune to Bb.

That all works great. BUT, then the Franklin pedal only goes down to Bb, regardless of where the nylon nut for the Franklin pedal change is adjusted. I assume this is because the hex nut is stopping the changer at the Bb and it can't go any lower.

Question: am I using the wrong process (as described above) and, in any event, how do I tune so that I can get both the split I want from the A pedal and P0 and also have P0 and the Franklin pedal work as intended?

Thanks!!

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 10:26 pm    

Greetings from Victoria, Cappone.

You will need to use the extra rod method to accomplish those splits to C because the split screws set the lowest note on the string.
Time to call Mullen for the rods you need.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2021 10:32 pm    

In most cases you can do this with an extra raise rod, provided you have an extra raise hole available in the changer on each of the string(s) you want to have the intermediate split.

The split screws are always used for lowest possible note, in your case the A notes on the Franklin change. Use them to tune the A notes with pedal 4 engaged only.

For the intermediate 1/2 step lower on your pedal 0 you would tune the split C notes with the nut on the normal lowering rod on that pedal. When you release just the A pedal the A#s alone will be flat. The added raise rod is just a compensator, you use it to bring those intermediate A# lowers back up to the correct pitch, the same way you used the screws on the P4 Franklin lowers. It's usually a good idea to color those added split nuts with a red sharpie or something so they're easier to keep track of.

EDIT: oops, Chris and I were typing at the same time, he speaks the truth

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 6:31 pm    

thanks for the replies! Makes sense to me now.

I've decided to switch up the copedent, including splitting the Franklin pedal and moving the B->A to P0, and omitting the B>Bb in favour of G#>G to see if I find that a more useful change. I've done most of the changes already, and must say it was way easier than I expected - these are well engineered machines! I thought it would take hours and involve more cursing and blood Smile But I was done and tuned up in no time.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2021 6:41 pm    

Chris Reesor wrote:
Greetings from Victoria, Cappone.

Greetings, Chris. I lived in Victoria for most of the 90s, starting with music school, and doing quite a bit of gigging (on sax and guitar) before I moved to Vancouver in '99. I may move back one day!