The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Highway 101 Steel Player
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 10:36 am    

For a long time I have listened to "Highway 101"
Does anyone know who played PSG on their records?
Don't know what guitar he used, but it certainly has a sound of it's own.

Kind Regards

J.R.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 11:51 am    

Tommy Spurlock and Gary Morse did some.
Tommy played a black d10 Showbud.

John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 12:00 pm     Thank you

Paul

Thank you

Much appreciated.

JR
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 12:39 pm     My favourite

Emmons played on "The Blame".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDrrtpR3oc

Paul Norman

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 12:44 pm    

The Blame was done after Paulette left. A different woman singer.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 12:46 pm    

Hey John, in no particular order and some guys may have only played on a song or two, I come up with:
Jay Dee Maness, Tommy Spurlock, Greg Leisz, Steve Fischel, John Noreen, Buddy Emmons, and Gary Morse

Paul Norman

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 12:47 pm    

Paulette Carlson had a baby and had to lay out. They got another woman to sing, but it was not the old 101 and it didnt stay. I think Paulette came back for a while.

John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 12:54 pm     Great Information

Thanks guys.

This is really interesting.
I love "The Blame".

That Tone is fantadtic.

I met Nicky Nelson, who sang The Blame, in Nashville backstage.

Fantastic how many types of tone is possible on the PSG or,the tone from the fingers of the players.

Thanks again

JR.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 3:29 pm    

Nikki was my favorite of t h e two ladies. But, Paulette was awesome too. Great band.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 11:36 pm    

Speaking of 101, it was a great band, they had it all going for it until Paulette decided she was the star and pursued a solo career which bombed. She didn't leave to have a baby, even though she may have had one .

Once Again- The sum of the parts is always bigger then a single component.

I was able to catch them a couple of times with Paulette before the split. Both times they carried a Steel player but I don't recall who it was.

Nikki came to the band in '91, really fine singer. It didn't help Paulette's solo career that 101 came out of the gate with two back to back chart songs with Nikki. But it wasn't the same. Two totally different singers,which made it a totally different band. Nikki really could not cover previous hits , it was actually quite unfair to expect her to. But thats how bands tour, old songs with new songs.

I ran into Jack Daniels at the Station Inn one time, we talked for a bit but you could see he was really troubled by it all.

Kinda too band they were a great band with great songs.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 6:57 am    

Have a video recording of 'Highway 101' taped early on in their career. It was taken from a show titled 'On Stage' which was being shown on the now defunct 'TNN' (The Nashville Network). Believe that their steel player at that time was Gary Morse playing an 'MSA Classic'.

Last edited by David Nugent on 14 Jun 2021 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 4:16 pm    

great band

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 7:54 am    

I saw Highway 101 in Pueblo, Colo which was announced as their first concert. It was at the State Fair Rodeo Arena.

The drummer had his set at the very front of the stage in the center. My thought at the time was that a very large Ego was large and in charge. But I really liked their performance.

I also really like the new girl. Better singer but not unique enough like Paulette.

Still like all of their songs. Wish they were still around.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 8:12 am    

I’m with you George, think Nikki was a better singer than Paulette, just a different sound I guess you could say. Bing Bang Boom was one of my favorites.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 1:17 pm    

Well continuing , Paulette is also a fine singer but totally different than Nikki. It was the songs that were excellent and fit Paulette's style really well. Too bad, they could have had a much longer run.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2021 3:46 pm    

I saw Hiway 101 in concert in Miami, Fl. at the Miami Zoo of all places. Summer of 1983 or early 1984. No steel player. Drums were front and center and you would of thought he was the star. It was not bad but not a good show. Did not hear what I thought I would. I think I walked out before they were done. J.R. Rose

Ed Gerl

Regensburg, Germany
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 2:29 am    

On the "New Frontier" album from 1993 Paul Franklin and Dan Dugmore play steel.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 3:45 am     Re: My favourite

Dale Rivard wrote:
Emmons played on "The Blame".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDrrtpR3oc

Mike Sweeney, who knows Nikki, posted on Facebook, that Nikki said John Noreen played on "The Blame". My favorite song of their's and never did I think it sounded like Buddy.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2021 4:06 am    

I don't know who played steel on their records. The ones I saw on live TV were either John Noreen or Tommy Spurlock. The steel seemed to be a step child as the band was always listed as just the four of Paulette, or Nikki, Jack Daniels, Curtis Stone and Cactus Moser.

Cactus was very animated, yes, he also wrote some of the music and was one of the founders.

After Nikki's stint, the band kind of faded but there were several reunions off and on with the members and girl singers.

Cac and Curtis, re-formed the band with Charlie White on guitar and Chrislynn Lee - lead vocals for a time in the late 90's. I think they actually played in one form or another until around at least 2010. It was always a mystery trying to find out who was on steel with them.

Gary Morse

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 7:04 am    

It's great to see people still interested in Highway 101 and posting about it on the forum! My time with 101 was short lived since I joined in '89 just before Paulette left.
We did so many dates (over 200 in one year!) that it's always seemed like it was longer than it actually was. In late 1990 when Paulette made the decision to leave, I had the opportunity to join McBride & The Ride who were just starting to tour and promote their first cd. I'd already played with lead guitarist Ray Herndon prior to that and knew it was going to be a great band and a whole lot of fun! That fun continues today since we are actually playing and touring together again in and around our regular tour commitments and are having a total blast!!
Back to Highway 101.....
I joined thanks to guitarist Jack Daniels whom I'd played with a number of times at the now-legendary Palomino Club in North Hollywood. When Tommy Spurlock left in order to join the Rodney Crowell tour I was his replacement. Looking back I realize Highway 101 was a game changer for me personally and would ultimately lead to thirty plus years of touring and recording with major acts which continues to this day as I celebrate my 16th year with Brooks & Dunn when we tour this fall. One of my favorite memories of being in Highway 101 was when we toured along with The Desert Rose Band and on occasion the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band as well. All three acts were managed by the same company which lead to that pairing. I recall turning to Jack Daniels at one of our shows and saying "Man....this is a concert I'd happily buy a ticket for!" Good times were had.......

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 7:21 am    

Thanks for the update, Gary - you've sure been with some great bands!
Did I see you on the road with Pam Tillis (think it was with George Strait) in Biloxi MS back in the early 1990's?

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 10:19 am    

www.allmusic.com lists: "Buddy Emmons, Guitar (Steel)" on the CD "Bing, Bang, Boom", which includes "The Blame".

I'm 99.9% certain that Emmons is listed in the CD liner notes--I just can't find my copy at the moment. Sad

I do recall hearing "The Blame" for the first time, and thinking "That sure sounds like Buddy Emmons.", which is why I bought the CD.

- Dave

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 2:07 pm    

I'm looking at the Bing Bang Boom cassette liner right now.

Credited as Extra Musicians, but not listed by individual track -
Tommy Spurlock Electric dobro, steel
John "Skink" Noreen Steel, lap steel
Buddy Emmons Steel guitar

The steel sound on "The Blame" is the same as most other tracks, kind of a treble spewing sound that was popular at the time. I always loved it!

I figured it was Buddy on "Till I Get it Right", the track with the lush string arrangement. It has a completely different steel tone than the other tracks, not that it means anything.

Nikki is one heck of a fine singer!! I think this was their best album, but I sure enjoyed all of them.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2021 12:34 pm    

I've talked with Nikki on Facebook and she loves the steel! She had a solo record in 1997 that featured a song called "Too Little, Too Much", and it's an upbeat song with great steel work! One of my favorite songs Highway 101 recorded was one written by Rodney Crowell called "Somewhere Tonight". The song features great vocals and steel work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Gary Morse

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2021 7:40 pm    

Jeff.....yes I was playing with Pam back then and we opened for George Strait as well