The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Freeloader Beginner Sound Question
Gerd Kaindlstorfer

Austria
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 10:40 pm    

Hello my pedal steel friends. Please help me for my knowledge. What is the sounddifference with a sarno Freeloader ? I use a Peavey Nashville 112. Is there a improvement in sound or are the difference quite subitle?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 4:47 am    

As the Freeloader is "just" a buffer-amp that presents the instrument's PU with a constant high – adjustable – impedance, and delivers the signal with a constant low impedance to whatever follows directly after it, gain or loss depends entirely on what you have right after the instrument now, and on how you cable up the initial part of your sound-chain. The NV112 itself is not a factor, as it should do fine with whatever signal you serve it.

For instance: I have an effect unit – stomp box – as first stage right after the PU, and in my case the Freeloader does nothing positive since the effect unit already takes care of the impedance convertion that I feel is needed in my setup with passive Volume Pedal.
If OTOH I took out the effect unit and let a passive VP load the PU directly, then I might insert a Freeloader as first stage between the PU and VP to achieve the impedance convertion I feel is needed to avoid dampening of the highest frequencies my steel produce.

All in all: it is a matter of personal taste if a Freeloader inserted as as first stage after the instrument's PickUp leads to improved sound, or not. Some of us like what it does, and others do not.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 5:15 am    

Below are frequency response graphs for the Z series pickups which were generated in circuit simulation software, and they approximately illustrate what happens at different resistances. This same behavior occurs on all magnetic pickups. As you can see, it’s predominantly the 2 kHz to 5 kHz range that is affected by the resistive loading. Adjusting the resistance gives a different result than the adjusting the treble knob on your amp, which affects all frequencies above roughly 500 Hz. One approach that I find works well is to set the amp treble so the lower strings have the correct tonal balance, and then adjust the pickup resistance to dial in the tonal balance on the high strings. Since the pickup resistance is affecting only 2 kHz and above it has very little affect on the low string tonal balance.

125K-ohm Parallel Resistance

250K-ohm Parallel Resistance

500K-ohm Parallel Resistance

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 5:48 am    

If you're a beginner, you probably shouldn't be worrying about "gizmos" to improve your sound. Your biggest improvements will come from regular practice and from playing with other musicians. After you've been playing some years, you'll be more attuned to what it takes to develop a good sound. There really are no "night and day" or magic ways to go from beginner clunky to accomplished player. It's just takes time.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 6:09 am    

The Sarno Freeloader does a whole lot more.
The FreeLoader is both a buffer and a tone control designed for pedal steel guitar. It clips on the leg of the steel guitar and is the very first electronic device the pickup sees. The internal 9v battery powers a very simple circuit using the highest grade audio components that help capture a clear, clean, and sweet tone from the pickup.

In addition to this buffer circuitry the FreeLoader includes a tone-control knob based on the electronic principle of “loading” or “impedance loading”. This type of tone control actually uses the pickup itself as part of the circuit. The result is extremely musical and natural sounding, allowing you to dial in a crisp, clear, bright tone or a dark, fat, mellow tone, and everything in between.
NOW with a dedicated tuner output jack.

It is very efficient at removing ice pick high's while still maintaining clarity of the low's. I have used one for years, it is a great product from a very talented vendor.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 11:10 am     Sarno Freeloader beginner sound question

Morton explained it very well and simply. I bought one and liked it so much I bought a backup. I use it to fine tune my tone, especially when in a band. I wouldn't want to be without it. I use a passive pedal.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 1:16 pm    

Does the original Matchbox 6A do the same thing? It's made to see the pickup first and has a tone control?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 1:43 pm    

Dennis Detweiler wrote:
Does the original Matchbox 6A do the same thing? It's made to see the pickup first and has a tone control?
Basically yes, but AFAIK the matchbox has a regular tone control, and not a variable impedance control like the freeloader has.