The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Half and Half.
Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 2:59 pm    

Why you bought one,,, or why you sold one. Chime in.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 3:57 pm    

Loud enough for anything, light weight, good looking, great reverb, and a one man operation- great guy, has been available for any questions over the years. An easy all round amp choice, particularly for big clean steel.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 5:40 pm    

I've owned pretty much one of every Milkman amp made...I started with him at the beginning (Pedal Steel Amp) and then he kept coming out with the "perfect amp for me"...Half and Half was the last "real" amp I had - it sounded great, didn't weigh a ton.,..beautifully made...what more can you say?
I did switch, finally, to a "The Amp", which lives on my pedal board...as I got older, I just wanted something that was a one-hand total rig...go to the PA through the XLR out when need more power,,,
My personal favorite was the Pedal Steel Mini, only 40 watts, because in the alt-country band I was in for a very long while, I loved being able to push it into power amp distortion for solos...very musical, was angels singing...but that wouldn't be right for most folks...
But yeah, the Half and Half does it all and sounds great...you aren't going to push the power section into distortion ever on a really powerful amp, so the tube preamp section (& reverb) is all you need for real tube tone....

Michael Stephens

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 2:01 am    

Just more of the same very positive experience. I hadn't played out in more than a year, so hadn't been using this amp. Pulled it out recently and gave it a go --- reminded again how big, clean, warm and great this amp sounds. And it's not very heavy Smile

Donn Lewis

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 12:57 pm     Milkman half and half

Best of both worlds. Sounds great and is easy to carry and set up. Tim is a treasure to the PSG community. Always available and responsive. I was proud to give him my business.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 9:36 am    

Mine was my first steel amp and was bought for me by my brother along with the rest of my rig.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=286475&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=brother&start=0
He said he wanted something I'd "never have to replace". I think he also wanted something that would be light to transport and easy service. IIRC, he was on a lightweight gear crusade at the time with his own guitar rig.

I've loved mine in the 6 years I've had it though it's only been played out of the house a few times and I've never had cause to use even a fraction of the headroom.
It seems to eat the #2 tube slightly more often than I'd expect for the light use it gets, but that's a minor quibble.

I bought a Reno 400 as a backup/practice spot amp and maybe someday I'll replace the Reno with a Nashville. However, I think the Half and Half will be the first and last #1 steel amp for me.

Also, two final details. First, Tim is great to deal with. Secon, this is the only amp I've ever bought new that is worth more now than when I bought it! I think it's a combination of Tim now being much better known and my 2-tone tolex now being a special order option.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/