The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Champion 50XL
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 12:40 pm    

Last week I bought a new Fender Champion 50XL Amp. I really like this amp, a lot. It was half the cost of a well used Nashville 112. I've owned a N112, and I can appreciate them, but this amp is something to consider.

50 Watts, with a 12” Celestion “Midnight 60” speaker. Aux input jack. Headphone jack.

Size - 17 1/4" W x 17 1/4" H x 9" D. 19 lbs.

2 channels. Channel 1 is a clean Twin Reverb sound. Channel 2 has several amp variations (modeling). Several effects.

I'm really liking the sound of this amp. Full spectrum of sound. Nice lows too.

As for me, I'm just an intermediate student, trying to catch up to where I was when I sold my previous steel in 2013. It will be a while before I'm qualified to be sitting in with someone, or a band. So, I have no reason to be buying expensive gear, and I really don't have that kind of cash to spare these days. However, I don't want to buy junk, and regret it. After looking at various kinds of amps online, I decided to buy the Fender Champion 50XL. I think a lot of new players or people in my position would fare a lot better by buying cheaper, but adequate, gear. I use a used Korg WT-12 tuner from the early to mid 80's. Great tuner, and it still works very well. It cost me $30.00 on eBay. I had one back in the 80's but sold it when I had to sell my steel for some needed cash at the time. I use a vintage Dekley Low Boy volume pedal, which I cleaned up and refurbished. I also had one of these in the 80's, but found another here on the forum last year. It works very well too, and it is the lowest of volume pedals I've ever seen. I still have the Dekley pac-a-seat my parents bought me for Christmas in 1981. It squeaks a bit, but it still works, and has been re-upholstered. Looks new. I also use a new tractor seat style drum throne, which works perfect for me, at 1/2 the price of the nice steel seats of today. My steel is a slightly used GFI S-10 Expo, black, that I got in great shape here on the forum.

What I'm getting at here, is that it is possible to get into pedal steel guitar without spending great sums of money on the best and most expensive gear out there. Deals can be found here on the forum, and our section where you can post things you are looking for is valuable too.

Sorry for the long post (I type fast). I was thinking some newbies or people just getting back into the world of pedal steel might have some interest in this info and these thoughts. Just my opinion, and I'm sure others will have theirs as well..

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 9 Jun 2021 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 4:44 pm    

Ken, as long as you get the sound that pleases your ear then that's all that counts. I have gone through a series of amps, effects racks and various other gadgets to supplement my tone desires. It's a rabbit hole that many of us pursue in search of the holy grail. My point is, find a suitable tone and spend more time on practice and application. Seems you have accomplished that.