The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Tuners?
Derek Bernard

Cape Canaveral, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 5:44 pm    

I've been using a Peterson Strobo Plus HD for a couple of years.
Before that I was using a Peterson Strobo clip. I had a fly out gig last week and was horrified to discover that the micro usb charge port on the Strobo Plus was damaged by the baggage handling knuckleheads at either Orlando or Salt Lake City. Fortunately, I still had the clip on which I now use for my fiddle. I only graduated to the Strobo plus because there was no good place to clip on the Strobo C
When I got back home I sent the Strobo Plus back to the factory for repair and tried to figure out a better way to mount the Strobo Clip. I removed the clip and used 3M Dual Lock to mount the tuner to the deck of my MSA. I think this is going to be my new way of doing things.

Helmut Gragger

Austria
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2021 11:25 pm    

Nice Guitar.

It may be of interest in this context, that there is a similar "best tuner" discussion going on over at another board, which has to do with DAW´s.

Its on the Acoustica forum and concerns the innards and workings of Mixcraft, which I use as a DAW.

Naturally, there are PC based tuners, and naturally, there is competition.

To cut it short, I tried a few of those applications (as long as they were free...) side by side and need(le)less to say (pun intended...), strobe tuners win hands down in resolution.

For those into DAWs, you may have a look here:
https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic.php?p=140591

have fun,
-H

Edit: after some more investigation, may I take up the cudgels on behalf of TB strobe tuner again. It has 0.1 cent accuracy, which is easily better by a factor of 10 than a needle device. For comparison, all current BOSS tuner models are no better then +/-1 cent.
On a PSG the errors tend to amount. When you tune a pedal and you start out with a wrong pitch, the error amounts. Let alone other inherent problems like cabinet drop and non-true-returns.
IMHO one cannot afford to add another source of error by using an inferior tuner. At least for the basic setup. You might get away with murder on a quick touch-up.

But back to TBStrobe. I most of the time have the PC running nearby to replay practising tracks or the like, so it is natural to use it. I am not sure what it costs to register, but it was ridiculously cheap.

I have a Sonic Research strobe tuner (stomp box), which is on paper 2x as accurate, but I can see no difference.

But with these stomp box devices (Peterson, Sonic Research) we speak of a completely different price tag.

The beauty with strobe tuners is, you immediately see trends - heading low, heading high, and how much. This all is eclipsed by other tuners´ green LEDs.

The aforementioned Korg CA-2 tuner has an Detection Accuracy of +/- 1 cent, a Sound Accuracy of +/- 1.5 cent. This is a clumsy way of saying, it has a resolution of +/- 1 cent, but an absolute accuracy of +/- 1.5 cents due to the impurity in their reference..
Sales rap:"The CA-2 delivers the high precision, sensitivity, and simple ease of use that you expect from KORG tuners (...)" Laughing Well, you get what you pay for.

Just my opinion.