The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Compensaters
Marty Letz

Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 5:18 am    

Ok so I’ve been play a universal tuning for a while as I don’t really play the 6th tuning all that much but it’s fun to jump on and off it. I have three uni’s. A ‘94 Franklin, a 2013 Williams, and a ‘74 push pull SD12. I’m going to be selling my Emmons as soon as I get around to it but all of these guitars the 12 string, 4th pedal do not return correctly. Until I hit my 5th pedal. Bill at Williams says he has compensators he can install on the Williams and if I get him proper measurements probably on the Franklin, I love both of these guitars and I had Mr. Franklin tune that guitar up many years ago as I play a day tuning plus I wanted a extended vertical knee. I didn’t know anything about compensaters then and as nice as my Emmons is,( it’s been tuned up by mike Cass ), it’s too heavy for this old man to drag around anymore. The 12string 4th pedal it the boo wop for those who don’t know. So when I replace the ‘74 SD12 Emmons what guitar should I go to that has either a good return on the 12 th string or and probably plus a compensater? Letz

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 7:42 am    

Hi Marty, I have no experience with 12 string guitars but I can tell you the 2 Mullen steels I own, don't have return compensators and don't need them. I have a double neck G2 and a Discovery and every string that both raises and lowers, returns true(in tune). That's including lowering the 10th string a whole tone.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 8:09 am    

I thought All Franklin's have tunable drop return compensators. My 82 D-10 Franklin had them, and the prime reason, at the time, for buying a Franklin.

But, if a different pedal fixes the return problem, that is not a compensator problem. That is some mechanical binding problem and the first place I'd look at is the changer fingers. Oil the changer fingers as a first step. Make sure the oil gets down to the axle. 3 in 1 oil is good. DO NOT use WD40. Other areas to look at are the foot pedals - they need periodic lubrication too. Also cross shaft lubrication. You don't have to "inundate" it with oil but it does need periodic/proper oiling.

I had two lubrication problems in the 38 years I had my Franklin (both were in the first 5 years). 3rd string changer finger was not getting proper oiling and was sticking (why I said to make sure the oil gets down to the changer axle). Also tight foot pedal due to lack of oil.

Marty Letz

Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 8:43 am    

All 3 of my guitars have this same problem and talking to a couple other uni players they’ve told me this is a typical problem. Yes I oil the heck out of these guitars and the only pedal board I need to oil is the Franklin. Mr. Franklin sr also told me to use nothing but motor oil. Weird.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 7:03 pm    

Hysteresis is a physical fact on most steels on all strings with a raise and lower. You may not be able to always "hear" it on a particular string, but it's almost always there. It matters, in my opinion. Get pitch return comps from Bill Rudolph. It will solve your problem.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 5:35 am    

I have a couple of new MSA Universal 12 strings that work pretty well.
Seems like any new guitar would be smoother like a Mullen or Williams.
I chose MSA because they sort of have a background with 12 strings. Also, Mullen would not make an S-12 Universal at that time.
Very Happy with the MSA

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2021 2:46 pm    

My Infinity doesn't have them and doesn't need them. The roller nuts a large in diamete iwth a skinny ale. - Seems to eliminate hysteresis.