The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  220 volt power supply for a Peavey profex 2.
steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 10:01 pm    

I live in Norway where we`ve got 220 volt electricity, and I`m having difficulties in finding a power supply for my old Peavey Profex 2. Profex needs 16,5 VAC at 1 ampere, but to find a transformer that takes 220 volt as it`s input, has proven to be a formidable obstacle over here.
Any help in locating one would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 11:35 pm    

Here in Australia (also 220-240v nominal) I an seeing quite a few Ebay listings for 16V AC Alarm panel Power supplies. I would expect that to be close enough.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 12:02 am     220 volt power supply for a Peavey profex 2.

Are these listings on Ebay, Australia? Well, since this type of power supply is hard to find in Europe, I`ll try to find one down under. Thanks for letting me know, I`ll access Ebay Australia and try to find one.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 12:28 am    

https://www.elfadistrelec.no/no/sikkerhetstransformator-230-vac-17-vac-20-va-tufvassons-transformator-pfs20s-230v-17v/p/15629845

FYI: Not that i matters much, but mains are 230VAC +5% / -10% in Norway.

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 12:46 am     220 volt power supply for a Peavey profex 2.

Thanks for the link, Georg. I suppose the 0,5 volt and 0,1 difference in amp. would not matter much?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 1:12 am     Re: 220 volt power supply for a Peavey profex 2.

steinar wrote:
I suppose the 0,5 volt and 0,1 difference in amp. would not matter much?
Those differences do not matter at all. AC Voltage output will vary at least as much as mains Voltage, and output Amp capacity just have to be large enough for the load – if it is 1Amp or 10Amp makes no difference.

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 1:15 am     220 volt power supply for a Peavey profex 2.

Ok, nice to know. I was afraid the Profex would be fried by an excessive load, - but little do I know about electronics.

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 3:42 pm    

The device will draw only as much current as it needs. You just have to have a power supply capable of at least the maximum it will use. Excess capacity is fine
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 8:37 pm     power supply for Profet 2

Georg mentioned this, and so do you. Well, like Midler said: The more ya loin, da more ya oin!"
I wasn't aware that excess capacity wasn't harmful, I though a device would consume power in a glutton-like manner, - take all it could get and hence destroy itself.
Thanks to you, Jeff, and to Georg, I now know better. Much appreciated!

Werner Friedrich

Germany
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 5:32 am     Re: power supply for Profet 2

steinar wrote:
Georg mentioned this, and so do you. Well, like Midler said: The more ya loin, da more ya oin!"
I wasn't aware that excess capacity wasn't harmful, I though a device would consume power in a glutton-like manner, - take all it could get and hence destroy itself.
Thanks to you, Jeff, and to Georg, I now know better. Much appreciated!

Hello Steiar,
have You find one AC 220 V to ~ 16-19 V AC Powerunit? When not, look for one Ham Radio Amateur in Your Area, thes Guys are very helpfull, or go in an Electronoc-Shop, buy an Transformator with 240 in and 16-19 Volt out. I have do this here too.
Best Whishes, Werner-Ham Radio DJ1SE

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 7:23 am     Re: power supply for Profet 2

Werner Friedrich wrote:
[...]go in an Electronoc-Shop, buy an Transformator with 240 in and 16-19 Volt out. I have do this here too.
If I had been sure Steinar could connect up trafos correctly, I would have guided him directly to one of the types, and sources, I would use…
https://www.elfadistrelec.no/no/manufacturer/noratel/man_nor?filter_Prim%C3%A6rspenning=230+VAC&filter_Sekund%C3%A6rspenning=2x+18+VAC&filter_Sekund%C3%A6r+str%C3%B8m=2+x+1.39A&filter_Sekund%C3%A6r+str%C3%B8m=2+x+1.6A
I used to buy them in bulk from the producer, but don't think I have any suitable ones left in store anymore.

Steinar, maybe you have someone near by who can help you connecting them up for your use?

steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 8:58 am     Power supply for Profet 2

Werner, - thanks for your help, - as it is a fellow countryman of you most graciously offered to send me a unit , and besides I got several links to stores who that sell what I need.

Georg, - you're quite right in doubting my ability as for all things electronic, but like I wrote to Werner, - I'll be getting a transformer from a kind German steel guitarist, and I've also got several links to stores selling this type of transformer, so the problem is solved. Thanks again, Georg!

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 5:44 am    

Perhaps a power inverter would d

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 12:02 pm    

Tommy Shown wrote:
Perhaps a power inverter would d
What for? Plenty enough AC in Norway … just delivered at about twice the Voltage and at 50Hz, compared to what is the norm in the U.S. The ProfexII doesn't care as long as it gets the around 16.5VAC it needs.

Some do use trafos to reduce our 230VAC to about 120VAC, but such trafos are better suited for U.S. tailored units that draw a lot more power than the Profex. Same thing with inverters that deliver 60Hz for units that are "sensitive" to the mains-freq.

The entire issue has mostly become a non-issue for electronic equipment these days, as most is made to work fine over the entire 110-260VAC / 50-60Hz range – only need the right plug for each area/country. We only have to find solutions for older, mainly discontinued, equipment.