The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice to a beginner - fix up LDG?
Tudor Jones

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 9:42 pm    

Hey Everyone!

I love the Forum and have gained SO MUCH knowledge from all of you on so many topics! I have a question for you all regarding what I should I do next as my chops are developing on the PSG....

I have learned on a family friend's Sho Bud Pro 2 - only using the E9 neck, and will soon not have access to that instrument. I can get one of 2 different LDGs that are in different states of disarray (both would need professional help to be stable and ready for the next 40 years of playing) - one is a 12XXX serial number with smooth skinny pedals, the other is a 14XXX serial number with textured fat pedals. The under sides look the same and seem to both be set up in the original Lloyd fashion. The fat pedal 14XXX one has what looks to be an aftermarket volume and tone pot affixed underneath the body. Rods are a little bent on both...changers look good...squeaks and clicks on both when pushing the pedals and levers around..

Is one version better than the other? Is one version a better candidate for refurbishing? ....and as a semi-beginner am I better off without having to deal with the quirks of a vintage Sho Bud and just get a more modern steel?

I love the Sho Bud sound, but would rather play than be doing upkeep...

Thanks so much for any guidance you all can offer!!

PS when I say semi-beginner, I mean I have played lap steel and telecasters for 30+ years and can "fake my way" through most basic tunes on a PSG.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 4:15 am    

I started on an LDG that I restored from a basket case. The thread is here https://bb.steelguitarforum.com//viewtopic.php?t=331525&highlight=
It may be of help. Bottom line is that if you're mechanically inclined it's not hard to rebuild one and if you've got someone nearby who can help - at least to let you know if it's playing more or less correctly you should be alright. On the other hand, if you can't look at the changer and the linkage and see how it works, you're better off skipping a project guitar. Michael Yahl at PSGparts.com has all of the hex shaft parts available although not everything is in stock all the time. If you only have to replace a few items (knee lever brackets and a few bell cranks for example) and you buy the guitar cheap enough then you'll be alright but it's very easy to underestimate how much money you need to put into it to get it back to right. Bet on the worst case and hope for the best. Check psgparts for prices so you can estimate what you'll need to budget parts wise.
If you can afford a guitar that's already in good working order, the smarter play is to buy that one and spend your time learning to play rather than learning to be a tech. That said, knowing how to work on your own guitar is a valuable skill. Back in the day, most players had to build their own...

Tudor Jones

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 4:19 am    

Thanks so much Brian!
I will check out your link and price out what I think it will take...in terms of time and money...to get one of the LDGs working well.

Cheers!!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 4:25 am    

I'm in full agreement with Brian. While fixing your guitar is a necessary skill, playing is time better spent. A good playing steel is a blessing and learning to play well takes considerable effort. Weigh your options carefully.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 5:59 am    

Brian, why not take it up to John Widgren in southern Connecticut for repair/restoration? Yes, you'll pay but you will have a classic PSG that you can play for a lifetime.

Chris

Tudor Jones

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 10:36 am    

With your help, I have decided to go the modern route and look for a recent steel that I can use to improve my playing and technique.....and in a few years I will see if I am ready to tackle a project and get an older Sho Bud or Emmons.

Thanks Guys!!