The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help me identify my guitar - EH-500 Skylark?
Ken Glasser

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 4:24 pm    

I have what I think is a Gibson EH-500 Skylark. serial number = 17872. I'm trying to figure out if what I own is indeed a Skylark, what year it's from, and some idea of the value (I'm thinking of selling it). In addition if you've got any ideas of the best place to sell I'd appreciate that as well.

I'm not an expert at all, but the case and the guitar seem to all be original parts. Definitely some wear. The tone knob doesn't work (I've tried unsuccessfully to get it fixed) - other than that it seems to work fine. Although I don't know what it should sound like.

I have more pictures if that will help assess the guitar's condition.

thanks for your help.

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 5:47 am    

At least one serial number decoder says it's a 1961, which seems very plausible. Very entry level, uses the same pickup as Melody Makers, which some (me) love and others think are thin and lifeless. Lots of talk about how price points are often unreasonably high, and $300 - $500 would seem where I would put it. Tone control should be an easy fix, there are only two parts that can go wrong.

Ken Glasser

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 7:21 am    

Thanks Brian. So it is an EH-500 Skylark then?

As for the tone knob, I took it to the guy who works on my guitars. He basically said the same thing - this is simple I'll have it fixed in no time. I don't remember all the details - I got to watch it all as he worked - but he tried a lot of different things (starting with replacing a capacitor if I remember correctly) and nothing he did for the next 90 minutes or longer made one bit of difference.

I don't care much about the tone knob, since I have pedals to deal with EQ.

Many years later to me it's just a funny story.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 7:51 am    

Ken Glasser wrote:
So it is an EH-500 Skylark then?

Undoubtedly.

Serial number would indicate 1961 vintage.

A defective tone control is indeed an easy fix for anyone of competence, given the proper replacement components.

$300 - $500 is a realistic valuation, in my opinion. Asking prices are often much higher.

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 5 Jun 2021 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 9:05 am    

It looks like a nice example. The prices being suggested here are way too low. The Skylark has become extremely collectible even though they are not the greatest of Gibson lap steels by any stretch of the imagination.

IMHO, it will be snapped up if you post it here at $700, and you’ll have no trouble getting $800 to $900 on Reverb. Of course, as with all things, “the proof is in the pudding”.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 9:26 am    

You might want to get a reading of the pickup coil's resistance , to make sure the coil is not open . Tone control doesn't work if the coil is open , though the pickup will still work , poorly.