The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  K&F guitars, any good?
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 12:53 pm    

I've come across a '46 K&F and I'm wondering if it has any value as a player, i know it has collectors value but im just not much on wallflower's. It looks to be in good shape, unplayed for 50 years or so, three rusty strings, scratchy pots, intermittent jack, the usual. The pickup does work though. Its not cheap and i love Fenders i just don't have any experience with these. Thanks, Glenn

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 1:22 pm    

I've owned several. They're basically identical to early Fender-branded steels with the "boxcar" pickup. In my opinion, they're not bad, but not great. None of the ones I've played sustained particularly well, and the tone was thinner and less interesting than the "trapezoid" pickups that Fender developed a few years later. As much as I love the historical aspect of instruments - and it doesn't get much more historical than the first Fenders - I don't have any urge to seek out another.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 4:14 pm    

Noah Miller wrote:
I've owned several. They're basically identical to early Fender-branded steels with the "boxcar" pickup. In my opinion, they're not bad, but not great. None of the ones I've played sustained particularly well, and the tone was thinner and less interesting than the "trapezoid" pickups that Fender developed a few years later. As much as I love the historical aspect of instruments - and it doesn't get much more historical than the first Fenders - I don't have any urge to seek out another.

Thanks, im still kinda intrigued by it, good to know the pickup's not awful, if i get it I'll post my thoughts.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 7:47 pm     Re: K&F guitars, any good?

Glenn Wilde wrote:
I've come across a '46 K&F and I'm wondering if it has any value as a player, i know it has collectors value but im just not much on wallflower's. It looks to be in good shape, unplayed for 50 years or so, three rusty strings, scratchy pots, intermittent jack, the usual. The pickup does work though. Its not cheap and i love Fenders i just don't have any experience with these. Thanks, Glenn

They are ALL good as players!

In all seriousness, if you limit yourself to only a couple instruments then you need to acquire only instruments that sound near perfect to your tastes. But if you have several instruments, it actually makes more sense that they have different and unique voices.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 4:50 am     Re: K&F guitars, any good?

Allan Revich wrote:
Glenn Wilde wrote:

They are ALL good as players!

In all seriousness, if you limit yourself to only a couple instruments then you need to acquire only instruments that sound near perfect to your tastes. But if you have several instruments, it actually makes more sense that they have different and unique voices.

I get that, i already have some real nice stuff, i guess i wanted to hear something to justify the high cost besides its collectability. I would have to trade for it and will probably do okay in the deal, i know i would choose another steel in that price bracket if i was spending cash though. I may be pleasantly surprised once i get it all setup however, wouldn't be the first time.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 3:24 pm    

There’s one on Reverb now. I think the seller is smoking something recently legalized in Canada though. Most parts are missing, and the few remaining parts are mostly non original. Basically $950 “on sale” for part of a body.

Rob DiStefano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 4:07 pm    

Allan Revich wrote:
There’s one on Reverb now. I think the seller is smoking something recently legalized in Canada though. Most parts are missing, and the few remaining parts are mostly non original. Basically $950 “on sale” for part of a body.

I doubt smoking is involved, it's just someone trying to take advantage of someone else's foolish ignorance. Smile

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2021 4:09 pm    

Allan Revich wrote:

yikes! Same model as the one i saw, let's just say i like my stuff just a wee bit cleaner Mr. Green

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 5:09 pm    

Well, here she is pre clean up. All original stuff is here, its untouched as far as i can see. Its made for Bronson publishing so i guess Leo worked some kinda deal to stay afloat after Doc left (pure speculation). Anyways, just thought I'd let y'all know i got it. Happy!

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 12:05 pm    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
Well, here she is pre clean up. All original stuff is here, its untouched as far as i can see. Its made for Bronson publishing so i guess Leo worked some kinda deal to stay afloat after Doc left (pure speculation). Anyways, just thought I'd let y'all know i got it. Happy!

Hey, congratulations Glenn! Looks like a cool old instrument. Please keep us posted as you clean it up and make it playable again.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 8:14 am    

So, I'm digging in to this thing and am a little baffled, I thought these were mid '40s instruments but looking at the pots, which appear stock and untouched, they are dated 1950! I guess they could've been changed but on a four year old guitar? Hmm, the plot thickens.
It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine Leo saying " Bronson wants to buy some guitars, get those leftover old models ready", or did they still make these that late?
I have a '50 Deluxe and its a way more refined instrument.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 8:19 am    

Serial# 821 and still has wartime tuners.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 8:25 am    

I'm no expert on dating Fenders but I don't think those pots are original. The grounded tab-to-housing solder joints are not professional looking. Also, I'm not quite sure how to read that pot code but they're not Stackpoles and there aren't 59 weeks in a year. Might have to dig a little deeper to identify them.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 4:41 pm    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
I'm no expert on dating Fenders but I don't think those pots are original. The grounded tab-to-housing solder joints are not professional looking. Also, I'm not quite sure how to read that pot code but they're not Stackpoles and there aren't 59 weeks in a year. Might have to dig a little deeper to identify them.

Thanks for your input, i didnt even catch the 59th week. Well, i have some time to ponder it as i had to send the pickup off to be rewound, no luck shimming the warped shrunken bobbin.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 3:23 pm    

Interestingly, i found an organ button listed as a '46 on another forum with these same exact pots.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2021 3:27 pm    

Allan Revich wrote:
Glenn Wilde wrote:

Hey, congratulations Glenn! Looks like a cool old instrument. Please keep us posted as you clean it up and make it playable again.

Thanks, will do.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2021 2:09 pm    

Got my pickup back from Tom Brantley who did a beautiful job restoring it, it sounds awesome, very vintage Hawaiian. I love this guitar, I'm so happy i took a chance on it, i have it Emaj tuning right now but i think it wants to be in high bass A.
Well, here she is, as cleaned up and restored as she's gonna get under my watch.